Need Help to determine if this is what I think it is...

chuckfinley

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2012
USA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a friend of mine found this and he's not good with computers so Im posting this for him.
Im not going to say what we think it is right away. I want to hear what you guys have to say..
In my opinion i think this find is big.. really big.. cause I have only ever seen one of them found before.
but maybe you think otherwise..
BTW Im new here so hi to all and thanks for your help here in advance...

DSC04445.jpg

Also the links are solid Gold and they are joined by silver...
It weighs 1.15 oz
and I cant tell you were it was found.

DSC04447.jpg

First of all, WELCOME to the forum. I took the liberty to download your pic, lighten it, tried to correctly balance the color, and enlarged it. I've been working with jewelry more than a few weeks :laughing7:, and from what I can see from your pic, it appears there is a discoloration band on just about every link; perhaps where it was joined/welded. Gold basically comes out of the ground the way it goes it. There are very few exceptions, one being exposed to beach elements; sand, salt, surf, etc. Seeing these discolorations and bands, tells me it could be gold plated. Did the person who tested it scratch the surface to test? Breezie
Chain.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok well thanks for all the input. maybe it is maybe it isnt. i will have to talk to my friend and see what more info I can get from him. Either way thanks for your input. Im not trying to be secretive and leave out info
and only tell you half the story. I only know what I was told. and I was asked to post this to see what others thought. and again I thank you all for your input. hope this finds everyone well.

Upvote 0
I personally don't think it's a money chain! The way the links are put together looks like its designed that way! A money chain the person wouldn't really necessarily care what it looked like and wouldn't take the time to make it look nice if they were just going to cut it up and use it for money

Kathy (koolaidsmile) :-)

Upvote 0
the person who had it tested whom is the owner is out for a few days unless I get ahold of him sooner.. Im sorry for the delay but all I know right now is what is shown in the pic and what I have stated. I will update as soon as I can. thank you for your interest and questions which I hope will get my friend and I to the bottom of this..

Upvote 0
It's been cool to see what others have to say.:thumbsup: Makes the what is it forum come alive with ideas.:headbang:And with so much interrest in your piece I would like to share with you some other items that would have used these types of chains.And if it wasn't for your chain being short looking & having the larger links in the middle these choices would be on my list.But they will show the construction of such chains during the time frame I mentioned above that being early to mid 1800's.

These type chains were used on such things like spurs & sword hangers as well.I was able to find a good shot of a pair of 1800's british spurs so you can see how the links were made back then.Notice the solder joint in the links & overall construction................again just to show how the curb chains were made as I still believe your piece & the two I've found were from bits.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• KSP103a[1].jpg
    KSP103a[1].jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 86
  • KSP103b[1].jpg
    KSP103b[1].jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 90
  • KSP103c[1].jpg
    KSP103c[1].jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 90
  • KSP103d[1].jpg
    KSP103d[1].jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 88
  • KSP103e[1].jpg
    KSP103e[1].jpg
    28 KB · Views: 98
  • MS10swordhang[1].jpg
    MS10swordhang[1].jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0
looks like it Pete-the only thing is the 1s you posted would be made out of silver or copper.The 1 he posted is just cheap brass with some soldering at the joints..

Upvote 0
It could be a lot of things -i thing is for sure.It is not a gold chain from the 16th century.....Could be a pocket watch chain/fob chain.$T2eC16Z,!ykE9s7t)2UyBQJDZlHP1w~~60_12.JPG

Upvote 0
when I was a kid my father would take me to the hardware store and they stold chains just like that. they came in gold, black or silver finish. My dad would use them to hang ceiling fixtures.
I think that is what this chain is.

http://lightingsale.com/progress-lighting.html?pi=182 click on this link and scroll down the page and you will see lots of these chains.

mjak

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it's a curb chain too...d2

Upvote 0
My mistake not the bit but as Kruger said attached to it..................HH

Upvote 0
ok so the size is 5 1/4 inches and It was tested and it is not gold.. I was told it was initially.. so.. having said that I am still not sure what it is. its not the length that timekiller says all the ones he found are. granted I know things break but why the solder in between the links. why wouldnt they just be one metal? and to all the people who were laughing.. or saying snide stuff get over yourself..mistakes happen.. again I posted this for a friend...

Upvote 0
ok so the size is 5 1/4 inches and It was tested and it is not gold.. I was told it was initially.. so.. having said that I am still not sure what it is. its not the length that timekiller says all the ones he found are. granted I know things break but why the solder in between the links. why wouldnt they just be one metal? and to all the people who were laughing.. or saying snide stuff get over yourself..mistakes happen.. again I posted this for a friend...

So, what did the tester say the metal was? Brass? Plated? or what?

To answer your question of 'why the solder in between the links. why wouldnt they just be one metal?' If they were solid links they couldn't be connected.

FYI: You get more bees with honey than vinegar. Many of the people here in TNet have been MD and pulling stuff out of the ground for 30-40 yrs. and are familiar with metals and how they look. We were trying to help in spite of your 'tude. :) Breezie

Upvote 0
Damn I guess this is going the way of the viking find.:icon_scratch: I will admitt I came off a little smart azz I guess but my reason was as soon as I saw your find I knew what it was(Guess that's not good enough) but you also came on here with out your facts in order (calling it solid gold links-money chain & so on). My action was done to try and nip it in the bud before it got a 100 replies of all sorts of guesses.Not that nothing is wrong with guessing as I've had to do it as well in the past ( somethings just are hard to have a straight up answer for though).To me yours is simple it hit me & I tried to tell ya.I would suggest you study all the different types of BITS that were made for horses/mules there are & were many types.After this post I'm going to leave your post alone (no need to cause any trouble for the Mods. to have to deal with).I'll leave a couple of sites on bits & types if you care to learn..................................
Collectible horse bits for sale

ENGLISH BITS

A reversible turning cheek Liverpool driving bit with flat cheeks in steel. This bit still has its original graduated single link curb chain. The bit is stamped "Best Steel J.H" and has an ordnance mark – indicating it was made by Hawkins for military use.
Dimensions cheeks 8½" (215mm) , Mouthpiece 5¼" (135mm)

Civil War Cavalry Horse Bridle Bit - Found in a Virginia Barn near Brandy Station many years. The Iron is a touch rusted but not relic condition by any means. Complete with #4 high port crossbar and U.S. bosses. Standard 1863 Model Cavalry bit. Fine original item. Even has the curb chain still present. $350.00

Attachments

• b147[1].jpg
    b147[1].jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 83
  • b147-reverse[1].jpg
    b147-reverse[1].jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 1stmay2011webcat-21[1].jpg
    1stmay2011webcat-21[1].jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF1142[1].jpg
    DSCF1142[1].jpg