Need help to identfiy please. 8 Reale where from and year?

finding

Aug 20, 2011

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 583
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 584
I'm no expert, but I've enjoyed studying this piece and have come to some conclusions. Based on the Cross of Jerusalem and the Hapsburg shield, I would place the time during Philip IV. The mintmark is off the planchet but Potosi is the most commonly encountered of this type. Looking closer, the assayer mark is clear with a stylized curved leg of the "R". I would decipher the mark as that of Pedro Trevino. He served at various times so it is more difficult to peg a year. Also, he used a "TR" as an assayer mark. I'm attributing the missing "T" as missing the planchet. Looking closer at the Lions in the quandrant of the cross, they might be attributed with a "fuller" or "furry" appearance placing the production of the 8 reale beginning in the 40's. Pedro Trevino served from 1643 - 1647.

It is my best quess, but wait for others to chime in.

Hi all,

The story I got about this coin was that it was purchased from Mel Fisher before he found the Atocha. It wasn’t pulled out of the ocean but it is an example of a circulated coin of its era. It is in pretty good shape and an excellent example of how they made coins in that time. I’ve had this coin a few years and am actually thinking of selling it. I guess my next question is what might be the value of it and who would be interested in purchasing it? Much thanks to Treasure Net and all the fine people for your help.

Finding

I've been spying on Spanish gold for sometime, and the last time is say a pieces of 8 was about six years ago, and it sold for about $400.00, but, don't hold my feet to the fire on this.... There have been others that have sold for as much as $2,500.00. If you can get it appraised before you sell it. I'm sure you'll have a better idea of it's value. Once you have an idea, and if, I were you; I would put it on eBay and see what kind of bidders you'll get, and I'm sure you can sell it for even more.... Good Luck...

Diver_Down said:
The mintmark is off the planchet but Potosi is the most commonly encountered of this type. Looking closer, the assayer mark is clear with a stylized curved leg of the "R"...

Stick with that right there. Yes, Potosi mint (in modern Bolivia), 8 Reales... However, that curved R (which is R alone - not Trevino's later TR or part of another monogram) is from the 2nd period of Ramos Leceta, which began ca. 1602-05 (depending on your source) and ran until right around 1613, when he was replaced by assayer Q. The overall style confirms this... This is actually a very typical Ramos curved R piece in terms of the pronounced doubling it displays.

FYI, for someone who has little familiarity with discerning/recognizing various style elements, or if the assayer was missing completely, there's a hint here... Note that on the periphery of the cross side at the 11 o'clock position (just at that little peak that juts out) there is an "X". That is the final letter of the legend "ET INDIARIVM REX" (or some variant spelling thereof). The position of that final "X" indicates that there is no date there, so you could at least narrow it down to being an undated Potosi piece from 1617 or earlier.

Fairly good weight and good uncleaned patina on this non-sea salvaged piece... Sensibly, it "should" sell between $150-225. Perhaps with some patience via a "Best Offer" format, it could achieve a bit more... eBay is probably the most direct venue.

Hello,
Any follow up on your coin?
Were you able to sell it?
If you want to you can PM me and I could make a purchase offer...
Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back