What's new

Need help with a ID Copper Arrowhead??

lonelyduckhunter

Sr. Member
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
353
Reaction score
80
Golden Thread
0
Location
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today. Weighs 3/4lb made of copper. Thought it might be a spearhead but think it's to heavy for that.

2ep6jbd.jpg


qozk47.jpg


6iy24i.jpg
 
Ha! thanks blacksheep. I plugged in "brass harpoon" instead of copper (saw yellow on the scratch) and that's what showed. Google is amazing , isn't it? :D
 
Upvote 0
I was going to guess Cupid... ;D :love7: :love4:

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys. As heavy as it is I would imagine when he lost it his pant would of fell off. ;D Thanks for the quick ID.
 
Upvote 0
Great relic and ID :hello2:
 

Attachments

  • Harpoon3_cr.webp
    Harpoon3_cr.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 589
Upvote 0
JohnnyI's ID was close. but no cigar.
This item is really a Swordfish dart or Lilly Iron
from the early 19th century.
Look on the "fletch" above the shaft and you
may find "J.H.E or J-E" the manufacturer.
Used on a wooden pole with a wrought iron socket
and iron point into which the dart would be fitted
for action. A rope through the dart hole would secure
the fish when the pole was withdrawn after spearing.

Ref:Hooks,Rings and Other things-An illustrated index of
New England Iron 1660-1860. By Frank T. Barnes.

The belt buckle was a good ID but, it was an aftermarket
or reproduction model. If yours is straight its a dart, slight
curve, its a Belt Buckle.
Great find either way.

Hay2
 
Upvote 0
Hay2, that's really interesting information. Lonelyduckhunter's object looks curved to me though, arcing up in first picture and arcing down in second which is the other side). Even though it appears curved, your information, as well as the location where it was found, lend a lot more weight to this being the real deal! Thanks again for pointing out an object that I doubt many of us (least of all me) knew existed.
 
Upvote 0
Spike, I want t to be the real thing rather than a buckle, but didn't Hay say the buckle was bent and the real thing is straight. Check both pics of the lonelyduckhunters and look at what seems like a bend? Maybe it's my eyes, but it seems the point and fletch is off the mat on one picture, and a picture of the other side shows the point and fletch touching the mat?
 
Upvote 0
Couldnt it bend from being used? Where did you find it? Great information haybudden2.
 
Upvote 0
its a sword fish dart made into a buckle --by a go it yourself type. :wink: :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
"Couldnt it bend from being used? Great information haybudden2."

Ha! you are a true diplomat Ivan.

Seriously though :tongue3:, I want to see it i.d.'d. If it's really from the early 19th century it has held up remakably well, and it looks clean enough that the logo should be very readable without glasses. As far as the bend goes, I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it is a bucuke just because it happened to bend like the buckle. It could have been stepped on maybe, or maybe a fish was speared and its weight made it bend just enough to look like the buckle. Hope it's not the buckle. (I'm kidding, I'm 99% sure now it is not the bckle!) .
 
Upvote 0
Is 3/4 lb not a bit heavy for a buckle :icon_scratch:

Surely that would pull your trousers down :-\
 
Upvote 0
with the weight of it --bet on swordfish harpoon :wink: :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
No, after seeing Hay's post I think it's most certainly the real harpoon. As a matter of fact I was searching "brass harpoon" and the buckle just happened to be the first thing I hit. The buckles is too "cast" looking for one thing, and is probably much lighter than the real McCoy. Man, these were sure brutal little gimmicks though! Not much sport there.
 
Upvote 0
I don't see why the buckle couldn't have been made from a real swordfish dart. As a matter of fact that's what lonelyduckhunter ought to do with his find :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Here is a real one that my Grandfather used . It has a bend . I think the bend helps it enter the fish at a slight angle , so it grabs the flesh better .
I'm pretty sure yours is a real one . Nice find !
 

Attachments

  • Picture 017 (3).webp
    Picture 017 (3).webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 402
  • Picture 018.webp
    Picture 018.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 390
  • Picture 020 (2).webp
    Picture 020 (2).webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom