Need help with found button.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Hey guys, I got out for a very short hunt today and found this button. It was found in an area with a lot of history, but I'm not sure how old it is. It features an eagle with a shield on the front, and on the back is stamped "CHAS. FISCHER SPG. CO NEW YORK". the little eyelet or whatever it's called is smashed in. It is fairly heavy for it's size so I assumed it wasn't THAT new, and it was about 6 inches deep. I tried researching it to no evail. Any ideas? Thanks for any help, you guys always come through!

Joe

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 365

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT FIND, WTG! POST THE BUTTON ON TODAYS FIND AND ASK FOR AN ID.

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
twistidd said:
Hey guys, I got out for a very short hunt today and found this button. It was found in an area with a lot of history, but I'm not sure how old it is. It features an eagle with a shield on the front, and on the back is stamped "CHAS. FISCHER SPG. CO NEW YORK". the little eyelet or whatever it's called is smashed in. It is fairly heavy for it's size so I assumed it wasn't THAT new, and it was about 6 inches deep. I tried researching it to no evail. Any ideas? Thanks for any help, you guys always come through!

Joe
I got out of the U.S. Army in 1980,and I had those type buttons on my uniform then....I think the Army uniform did not change from WWII till just recently (15 years ago maybe)....I have found several in the last 2 years including the larger ones that went on the Dress Cap.....Sorry it isn't any older.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Good find Joe! A lot of people pass on those button signals. Can you give us a size? Coat or cuff size?

Couldn't find that backmark on the online listings myself, but I'm in the camp with Pocket Spill on anywhere from WWI forward, good to have an intact shank even if it is bent over.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find bud!!! :thumbsup:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I can't find the back mark anyplace - but your button is a US Army "great Seal" button that has been used from 1902 to present.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, regardless of age, a neat button.
Now get back out there and get that silver rosie!. . . and that's an order :o

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Thanks for the replies, guys! Lowbatts, I dug it because it was deep and sounded like a quarter/dime. It is almost exactly the size of a large cent (just a hair bigger). It wasn't anything to get really excited over, but so far these beach hunts have been producing nothing but a bit of clad and a lot of junk. I'm working on tweaking the settings on the Minelab a bit for next week at North Ave...

And Mark, the area I found the button in is textbook Rosey dime territory. But I didn't find any! lol

Joe

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Wow Joe, that is a big button then. Never dug one that big but I guess that would ring in as a good target.

Now, lesson number two, Grasshopper. You who covets the Rosie, but digs the awesome everything else. As soon as you accept your fate and start relic hunting in earnest. The RIO's (rusty iron objects) will disappear and rosies will get in your way.

Kinda like, Dammitol, I wanted to dig that tobacco tin but it turned out to be a stinkin' rosie. Ah the irony of relic hunting in the big city.

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Lowbatts said:
Wow Joe, that is a big button then. Never dug one that big but I guess that would ring in as a good target.

Now, lesson number two, Grasshopper. You who covets the Rosie, but digs the awesome everything else. As soon as you accept your fate and start relic hunting in earnest. The RIO's (rusty iron objects) will disappear and rosies will get in your way.

Kinda like, Dammitol, I wanted to dig that tobacco tin but it turned out to be a stinkin' rosie. Ah the irony of relic hunting in the big city.

lol, you're right, I think I'm just going to drop the whole Rosey dime thing and dig crappy signals. That way I'll be sure to find the stupid dime and let it go.

Joe

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Thanks, guys.

Mike, my button looks just like the one in the link you sent me, except mine is larger than 5/8 and is from a different company. Identical obverse, though...strange.

Tim, great links, but I couldn't find mine on them...maybe uncommon?

Neil, that's usually why I like coins. Easy to identify, and if there are any issues, I have one source- Red Book! lol

Joe

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Couldn't find your backmark anywhere either. That means we can, in lieu of real intelligence, give it a R-1 rarity, one known example and declare it exquisite and priceless!

Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions