Need help with identifying these rocks, is this real Silver in them??

THR214

Feb 18, 2013
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
small 3.JPG Hi, I posted this is the general area as well, jst trying all areas to get some info. I am a newbie here, first post for me! I recently found these rocks and I am trying to figure out what they are. Could this be real silver in them? Any help is appreciated. The first has layers in spots where I can fit a razor blade in between them, the spots are soft, pushable. the smaller looks like a dark silver in person, and is covered like glitter.
Thank you
silver 1.JPG silver 2.JPG silver 3.JPG silver 3.JPG small 1.JPG small 2.JPG small 4.JPG

OP
OP
T

THR214

Feb 18, 2013
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you tell? I do not know much at all, but I always thought pyrite was "fool's" gold.

Upvote 0

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
look up pics of pyrite on the internet and then look at pic of raw silver

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think Teara may have nailed it: Mica. Looks flaky and shiny, almost plastic like.
Silver will be malleable and metallic. A silvery streak would be left on unglazed porcelain.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

THR214

Feb 18, 2013
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't flake off the stone, it is in there and has to be pulled out, but does separate easily. It is almost like fanning a magazine with your finger. Some of the pieces I did pull out looked almost like a glazed sliver of glass or plastic almost transparant, and some were harder like a very thin piece of tin or the small springs inside of a watch.
I found another stone today with these very dark square posts coming out of the center, I cracked the rock to get some of it out and placed a magnet on it and it stuck to it. This was out of the same batch where I found the others I pictured. I just wanted to add that in to help the info.

Upvote 0

Turkısh Man

Sep 17, 2012
Turkey
Detector(s) used
Gold Master +Carl Anderson PMR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!B4)b)Q!CWk~$(KGrHqJ,!hwEycbhB1UFBMrJC+1yKg~~_3.JPG $(KGrHqZHJ!wE9qo7DLRwBPhSziEn0!~~60_3.JPG 112963a.jpg S562.jpg

Specularite Hematite (iron ore ) contains mica flakes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread