Need help with makers mark on thimble...

The Sanddigger

Nov 15, 2012
Tidewater VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1137.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 129

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this case I'm not sure it does mean Birmingham, because if it has an assayer mark, it would have the purity mark as well. ie. its been assayed. Plus the anchor is not stamped.

The '6' is the size, the Anchor I'm guessing is just a quality mark.
What's after the 'S'? Standard?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

katdancing

Jun 16, 2012
central wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thimble sizes range from "0" which is the largest down to "14" which is the smallest. Hopes is helps, it is a very nice find. :)

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the anchor is for Stern bros. of Philadelphia 1890-1909.

Worthing looking into. I don't know much about thimble makers, but I do know lots of companies used the anchor symbol because of it meaning. ie. its a quality piece because anchor means 'to hold fast', 'security & stability' etc..

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the S is the first letter in the word Sterling, we just can't see the rest of it. I may be wrong though. Here is what I found regarding Stern Bros.-

In 1868, the firm of Stern Brothers was established in Philadelphia. Within a few years, the company expanded and relocated to New York City and entered the diamond and jewellery manufacturing business. From 1890, Stern Brothers used a "fouled anchor" (an anchor entwined with a rope) as their thimble trademark. From the period 1908-1912, the company sometimes used an "S" as its trademark with a "B" in the upper curve and a "C" in the lower curve of the "S". From 1913, the company used a squared "G" with an "S" and a "C" inside after August Goldsmith became a partner. The company shut down and ceased operations in 1933 following the stock market crash of 1929.
2zyabmd.jpg

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course Sterling is much more likely than my Standard guess.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Sanddigger

The Sanddigger

Nov 15, 2012
Tidewater VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this case I'm not sure it does mean Birmingham, because if it has an assayer mark, it would have the purity mark as well. ie. its been assayed. Plus the anchor is not stamped.

The "s" after the mark spells out sterling.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Sanddigger

The Sanddigger

Nov 15, 2012
Tidewater VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sterling

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Sanddigger

The Sanddigger

Nov 15, 2012
Tidewater VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the S is the first letter in the word Sterling, we just can't see the rest of it. I may be wrong though. Here is what I found regarding Stern Bros.-

In 1868, the firm of Stern Brothers was established in Philadelphia. Within a few years, the company expanded and relocated to New York City and entered the diamond and jewellery manufacturing business. From 1890, Stern Brothers used a "fouled anchor" (an anchor entwined with a rope) as their thimble trademark. From the period 1908-1912, the company sometimes used an "S" as its trademark with a "B" in the upper curve and a "C" in the lower curve of the "S". From 1913, the company used a squared "G" with an "S" and a "C" inside after August Goldsmith became a partner. The company shut down and ceased operations in 1933 following the stock market crash of 1929.
2zyabmd.jpg

Those are some nice thimbles. Thanks for investigating. The "s" spells out sterling on my thimble.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread