What's new

Need help with makers marks

BenVa68

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2018
Messages
504
Reaction score
1,735
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug these in Williamsburg Va today at a colonial homesite. We dug items ranging from the early 1700s up to the early 1900s. The pottery mark is blurry, its not the picture. The crown over F piece is brass. No idea what it is though. Looks like it attached to something else.
 

Attachments

  • 20191130_213142.webp
    20191130_213142.webp
    207.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 20191130_213119.webp
    20191130_213119.webp
    150.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 20191130_213127.webp
    20191130_213127.webp
    160.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 20191130_205949.webp
    20191130_205949.webp
    217.8 KB · Views: 93
I've seen old padlock key hole covers with a crown and letter's under it. Looks old. Cool finds.
 
Upvote 0
Your brass piece is most defiantly a padlock key hole cover.
Sorry ncan't help on the other..
 
Upvote 0
you are both correct it is from a late 1700s or early 1800s padlock. Thanks a lot.
 
Upvote 0
There's not a lot to go on with the pottery mark. Even with a complete mark and a complete dish it's difficult to match maker's marks.

It likely said 'SEMI-PORCELAIN' (a fancy name for ironstone) at the top. 'WARRANTED' over the lion. I can't make any sense of the other words or letters. My guess is they are not English...

139765.webp warranted pottery mark.webp

It's brown(?) so that may be another clue.

I looked in the usual places but came up empty.
 
Upvote 0
Note the paw above the C in copy.rgt

WARRANTED
COPY.RGT
COOK & HANCOCK


Cook and Hancock.webp
 
Upvote 0
Note the paw above the C in copy.rgt

WARRANTED
COPY.RGT
COOK & HANCOCK


View attachment 1776994

Wow. Impressive ID!

I thought it said COPY but I couldn't make sense out of the rest of it.

Never seen SEMI-GRANITE. I assume that's another fancy name for ironstone. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Spur ID
Replies
8
Views
756

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom