What's new

✅ SOLVED Need help with several buttons

Johncoho

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2014
Messages
2,862
Reaction score
7,292
Golden Thread
0
Location
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know as much as possible about these buttons. Dating them would be appreciated. I do know that number one is a ball button and number three is a small flat button, but number two is my main concern. It seems to be very old. IMG_0001 (1).webpIMG_0003 (1).webpIMG_0005 (1).webpIMG_0006 (1).webpIMG_0003 (2).webp
 
Last edited:
Is the shank soldered on or integral cast on #2? Straight on shots of the backs in better light (daylight) would help.
 
Upvote 0
Is the shank soldered on or integral cast on #2? Straight on shots of the backs in better light (daylight) would help.

It's all one piece cast, Steve.
 
Upvote 0
My best uneducated guess

1. Late 1600's, early 1700's
2. Mid 1600's (very cool looking by the way)
3. Early 1800's
3. Mid 1700's
 
Upvote 0
My best uneducated guess

1. Late 1600's, early 1700's
2. Mid 1600's (very cool looking by the way)
3. Early 1800's
3. Mid 1700's

Thank you. I was thinking number 2 was 1600's but wasn't sure.
 
Upvote 0
#2 is absolutely an early "doublet" button. Hard to dig this side of the pond. Good job.
 
Upvote 0
Very cool. I’ve dug a bunch of 1700’s buttons in SW PA, but never anything as old as the one you just found. Congrats
 
Upvote 0
Sorry to have to say... unfortunately, your button #4 appears to be a 20th Century one. The photo of its back shows what seems to be two circle-shaped injection-molding remnants alongside the "pillar" shank. I've never seen those on an 1800s-or-earlier metal button.
 
Upvote 0
Very nice early finds. :thumbsup:
Even better now that you have a date range for the site.

Dave
 
Upvote 0
Sorry to have to say... unfortunately, your button #4 appears to be a 20th Century one. The photo of its back shows what seems to be two circle-shaped injection-molding remnants alongside the "pillar" shank. I've never seen those on an 1800s-or-earlier metal button.

I wasn't sure about that one. Thanks, Cannon Ball Guy.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Meh did not read anything but nice id!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom