Need help with which one to get

173ABN

Mar 14, 2011
I am going to start RVing with my wife and want to start metal detecting. I don't have a idea on what brands are better or what to stay away from. Here is what to work with. A. I wear hearing aids, B. range around the $500-700 mark, C. I would guess that I would be doing sand, or dirt. I don't know if I should try a used one. Could someone please help this old fart.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab xterra 305(505 and 705 if you prefer more) is a great "starter" detector.Light and easy to hear,depending on conditions.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Any detector will find treasure. Some entry level machines don't have much discimination in the $100-200 range. Above that, most detectors have descent discrimination and most have available larger coils for deeper detecting and faster ground coverage. Also many have smaller coils for gold nugget and or trashy parks or playgrounds.Most people start out with an entry level detector to see if thay want to do it for a prolonged period. That way they are not spending too much money and if they do decide to stay with it, they can always sell theirs and move up to a better model. If they don't decide to stay with it, then they don't have a lot invested in it. I know plenty of people who have bought one, only to end up in their closet. If you have a local dealer, go and check out some of their models, to get a better idea of what you might want.Good Luck. rockhound

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

You have decent budget, so you should be able to find a good detector, I would go for a good secondhand one...one of the minelabs, as you need hearing aids, a good set of headphones would be needed, something like Grey Ghost NDT :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Mad House :icon_thumleft: :laughing9:

SS

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
173ABN said:
I am going to start RVing with my wife and want to start metal detecting. I don't have a idea on what brands are better or what to stay away from. Here is what to work with. A. I wear hearing aids, B. range around the $500-700 mark, C. I would guess that I would be doing sand, or dirt. I don't know if I should try a used one. Could someone please help this old fart.

Welcome! There are some great suggestions above. Let me know if you'd like my help finding the right one! We carry most of them. Hope you LOVE it!!!! Enjoy!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I can help you in any way, please call me. We are open 7 days a week.

There is something you should consider buying used. If you buy a machine used from a 3rd party, you don't get a warranty. That warranty is very important sir. On any electronics. Agree? Buying used isn't bad, it's just taking a risk.
Mike
540-381-1959

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions