Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've have read lot about knowledgeable folks saying the AT Pro doesn't work well in salt water.

Last month I went to Buccaneer State Park and while I was there, I hunted the beaches, with all three of my machines. Dry sand and wet sand only (for a while), the pickens were slim. A few clad and nuts and bolts (beach junk).
I had read so much about the ATP not doing so well in salt water, I wanted to give it a try, so when I came back armed with a scoop and better shoes, I would know if it would work okay, or if I needed a salt water machine.

I made passes in water up to my shins, and spent about 10-15 minutes looking around. I dropped my sensitivity back to 3 bars below max and found no problems, I did get some hits and if I would have had a scoup, I may have been able to retrieve them. I have never hunted with an MD in salt or fresh water before. Maybe I would find the machine would act differently if I went out into deeper water. As it was (I may be wrong) the ATP will probably be my salt water machine, for my 1 or 2 weeks a year at the beach. If not then I'll see what else Wayne has to offer.

Roy

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And ya know thats honestly is all I was trying to say im not saying the pro is the greatest detector its not even my goto anymore but like I was just tryin to say is no 2 people r the same nor 2 spots r the same I know its not a full out beach detector & I never said that What I did say was it could b used & if ur just gonna go to the beach once in a while no point in buying a full water detector I know sandman & Terry r very smart in the World of detectors but I also know since they dont use nor really like them there not goin to recomend them. Ive seen others totaly hate the pro & do s complete turn around mayb thosr guys tried them.when they first came out goin through 3 of them.well now the bugs r out & there not to bad. If they had options like my v3i then it would still b my goto

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, thanks for the input. Being you are a Tesoro cult member what would you recommend? Sandshark? I live smack dab in the middle of the Puget Sound on Whidbey Island so saltwater is a must, but I don't want to limit myself to just the beaches. Maybe I am a dreamer for wanting to get the best of both worlds from one machine and a somewhat limited budget. Thanks again in advance.

It just depends on your budget Green. If you have $1,000.00 then I would say get a VLF for dry sand and dirt like the Tesoro Vaquero ($450), and a Sand Shark PI ($580.00) for wet sand and saltwater. If you are going to hunt dry sand and dirt 90-percent of the time, and just hunt ankle deep in saltwater, get a Minelab Soveriegn or Safari, or a Fisher CZ21 (multi-freq). The AT Pro (which I have used on saltwater beaches) is not my first choice for anything. It is heavier than my Vaquero on land, is no more sensitive, and most certainly does not go any deeper. On the beach, the AT Pro doesn't get deep enough to find the deep gold in wet saltwater sand. That is my honest opinion.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
.. I know sandman & Terry r very smart in the World of detectors but I also know since they dont use nor really like them there not goin to recomend them...

If I really thought the AT Pro was a good saltwater machine I would have no problem telling folks to buy one. I've used it on land and on Atlantic saltwater beaches. It is second-rate on wet saltwater beaches - period. If you want an AT Pro for Dirt and Freshwater, then it is an EXCELLENT choice as a water resistant (rain and shallow freshwater) detector. I don't like it because it is too heavy compared to my Vaquero, and not as deep as my Tejon. I use Tesoro and Minelab machines because they do the job for ME. I give my opinion just like everyone else, and I base my opinion on almost 40-years of detecting with many different brands.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're only going to use the detector at the beach once a year, I wouldn't base my choice on that one week. Base it on the most common use you plan to put it to. If you find one in your price range for the hunting you plan to do, get it for that reason. If there are several to choose from, use the saltwater hunting feature as a tie breaker.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes well u already know my opnion.aswell im not an arguing Type like I allways say I respect all of this hobby the thing that was said that pissed me off was u saying im giving false statements of the atpro & all honesty I recomended it for these reasons
First detector
Not wanting to spend 1200
Wants to do water & land
Doesnt go to the salt water beach mayb once a year
Only in water up to knees
So assuming rest of the time would b land
I thought the pro being middle if his price range would b Fine if he was in water more or in wet/ dry sand more then ya a sandshark would b ur better choice by all means
Anyways im pretty much done defending my recomendation I dont c the need to I think the garrett Forum that gets replies all day Long can speak for itself my thoughts with ur knowlege still doesnt change I still think that u r very smart & have put the time in the hobby just it is What it is period

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're only going to use the detector at the beach once a year, I wouldn't base my choice on that one week. Base it on the most common use you plan to put it to. If you find one in your price range for the hunting you plan to do, get it for that reason. If there are several to choose from, use the saltwater hunting feature as a tie breaker.

Cudamark ur exactly correct I took What was said the detecting he wanted to do price range aswell & recomended the Atpro from my expeirence with it & from What ive saw on the forums is all

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tiger Shark is a Single-frequency VLF designed for FRESHWATER. Just like the AT Pro, you can use it in saltwater, but it gives up a lot of depth and sensitivity.

Hey Terry, let me first preface by saying I am not doubting your expertise. I am just trying to find some answers. But Tesoro markets the Tiger shark as a saltwater machine. this from the website--"Working in the wet salt areas is where the Tiger Shark outshines the land detectors. In land conditions, the most crucial adjustment is using the ground balance to tune out mineralization. In wet salt conditions, changes in the conductivity in the sand cause most of the problems. The Tiger Shark uses a completely different set of internal settings in the SALT Mode than in the NORM Mode. There are no special controls or techniques to remember."

I assume it will work in the salt but like you said not get quite the depth and sensitivity? Why would the market it as such if it was designed for FRESHWATER?

Thanks again for your input, not trying to start a debate or accuse, just curious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread