Need help

BBJJBB

Apr 12, 2022
This picture was bought in N.Y. in the mid 60s. I'm trying to find out more about it. I can't quite make out the artist name (Ashley?)and I believe the circled C means copyright. I do understand it's pretty much not worth anything but I've looked at it all my life and have always wondered more about it. When or if there is an original, the Artist, year painted or printed, etc. Everything and anything will help scratch this itch. It measures about 2' by 3' at the most.

Attachments

• 2524~2.jpeg
    2524~2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • 2527~2.jpeg
    2527~2.jpeg
    909.3 KB · Views: 51

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rather like it.

What you have is a lithographic print from the Turner Manufacturing Company of Chicago and, if it was purchased in the 1960s, that’s probably about when it was produced. For around 30 years Turner produced affordable ‘art’ for sale as home dĂ©cor, sold principally in five-and-dime/department stores before going out of business in the 1970s.

The company was best known for pastel images of birds and flowers but also sold reproductions of historical paintings (especially 16th-18th Century ‘Old Masters’) and more modern works of countryside and pastoral scenes mass-produced from the original artwork. The latter usually have the signature of a relatively unknown commercial artist plus a copyright symbol, but these signatures are often fictitious or studio pseudonyms.

The original for your print was titled “The Red Barn” and purported to have been painted by “J. Ashley” (although as said above, this may have been an invented name used as a front for an artist working in a commercial studio).

The pastel bird and flower works are becoming ‘collectable’, but not at high prices. Works like yours – even in large sizes – unfortunately don’t generally fetch more than about $25.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BBJJBB

Apr 12, 2022
I rather like it.

What you have is a lithographic print from the Turner Manufacturing Company of Chicago and, if it was purchased in the 1960s, that’s probably about when it was produced. For around 30 years Tyrner produced affordable ‘art’ for sale as home dĂ©cor, sold principally in five-and-dime/department stores before going out of business in the 1970s.

The company was best known for pastel images of birds and flowers but also sold reproductions of historical paintings (especially 16th-18th Century ‘Old Masters’) and more modern works of countryside and pastoral scenes mass-produced from the original artwork. The latter usually have the signature of a relatively unknown commercial artist plus a copyright symbol, but these signatures are often fictitious or studio pseudonyms.

The original for your print was titled “The Red Barn” and purported to have been painted by “J. Ashley” (although as said above, this may have been an invented name used as a front for an artist working in a commercial studio).

The pastel bird and flower works are becoming ‘collectable’, but not at high prices. Works like yours – even in large sizes – unfortunately don’t generally fetch more than about $25.
Thank you very much. That is the kind of information I was looking for. Very helpful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread