What's new

Need ID on possible colonial coin

jml818

Full Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2016
Messages
118
Reaction score
459
Golden Thread
0
Location
Philadelphia, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been digging for long time and found many coppers but I just cannot google this old coin or tell what it is. It is tad smaller than large cent. The only thing to really go by is the eagle on reverse side looking to left. Front is pretty worn but there are some letters and possibly date.
 

Attachments

  • B1C9CBD9-A8E9-4E38-AE25-7DCD4437E190.webp
    B1C9CBD9-A8E9-4E38-AE25-7DCD4437E190.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 147
  • EE1C433C-D112-4E72-9206-9DAA95DF40E0.webp
    EE1C433C-D112-4E72-9206-9DAA95DF40E0.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 134
What a nice Find! :thumbsup:
Not often Red Books show reverse design, only describe it a bit,
but the "obverse" face of your coin is a puzzle..., isn't it? Can't help,
but be sure to let us know, when you do find out, K?
 
Upvote 0
The eagle is similar to a Gobrecht style off the $10 Eagle (gold). But that doesn't look gold.


new-style-coronet-liberty-head-gold-eagle-no-motto.webp

I would guess some kind of token(?)

1815201043.webp
 
Upvote 0
I see a bust of a man on the obverse....is upside down in your photo
 
Upvote 0
Turning the second picture 180 degrees, the letters "CO" are evident.
 

Attachments

  • Coin.webp
    Coin.webp
    237.8 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0
The letters "CO" look like they are about the same position as SCOTT
 
Upvote 0
NH Benz has solved this mystery coin! Thanks everyone for your comments.
Now I have to google Winfield Scott and see who this crusty looking dude is.

After googling this guy it all makes sense. He was born right down the road in same town I was born in. Maybe this guy was me in a previous life and I just dug my own coin! whooaa man
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Cool find!!!!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom