need ID on what this is??

calmerthanu

Jul 2, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon / minelab x-terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
found at 1800's house site (penny by it for scale)

775128_4891000727161_1056524507_o.jpg

775137_4890999567132_1913308622_o.jpg

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say "1800's" house site.. Early 1800s? mid 1800s? Late 1800s? Got an idea of what this may be but need to know that info. :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
calmerthanu

calmerthanu

Jul 2, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i would say from the stuff i found there def civil war era and was probably still occupied through the first world war

Upvote 0
OP
OP
calmerthanu

calmerthanu

Jul 2, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
checked my info, from what i can find out from the landowner and things found there probably built just prior to the war and abandoned by 1920, no sign of it left now on the surface except for scattered bricks

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call me crazy but does it look like a photograph could have been put in it? (thats why I wanted to know exact time frame of house) it looks like something belonged in it :icon_scratch: Looks so much like a breast-plate though but I can tell you this looks to be 20th century or late late 19th century. Interesting find. :occasion14: hope I or someone else can dig up more info for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
calmerthanu

calmerthanu

Jul 2, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yea i was thinking that myself that something was inside of it, there is room for something thin to be inserted

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a couple things from the that time period somewhat like this before where they would insert a photograph in something like what you dug and be able to loop it on something or even wear it as a buckle/breastplate type thing... back in the late 19th and early 20th century photographs were so precious too people, but it def. looks like something belonged in it, it is way to decorative for it just being plain. :sunny:

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that it's a glass faced Bridle Rosette, Buckle Boy named one a month
or so ago, I can't remember the right name ...But it looks kinda like what he was talking about............................HH

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that it's a glass faced Bridle Rosette, Buckle Boy named one a month
or so ago, I can't remember the right name ...But it looks kinda like what he was talking about............................HH

I agree; it looks like a bridle rosette. :) Breezie

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I agree with bridle rosette with picture motif, as there's bunches of pictures of those online, but what's the doo-dad at the top front for? I can't find one with a similar thingy? It almost looks like a hold-down latch except that it looks solid?

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,bridal rosettes have the bar dead center

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with bridle rosette with picture motif, as there's bunches of pictures of those online, but what's the doo-dad at the top front for? I can't find one with a similar thingy? It almost looks like a hold-down latch except that it looks solid?

Benz, I think it's exactly what you said, a 'doo-dad' for decor. The right flange is folded over to the center.

After looking at the pics again, there is a possibility it could be a ladies Victorian frame buckle. The leather would go through the loop bracket, and the hole in the belt would fit on the post. Either way, (rosette or buckle), the principle would be the same, leather through the loop, and leather hole on the post.

:) Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread