Need info on shark tooth hunting in Summerville, SC

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
I have been trying my hand at shark tooth hunting and I read about (and see pics) of some great finds in Summerville and I would like some help in getting me to the right direction.

I have been hunting a tidal canal at low tide and have found a few teeth but nothing to exciting. Is there a place on dry land like a quary or something that I cna hunt or maybe another canal?

thanks,

Mike

recoiljunky

Jun 10, 2007
Dothan, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Excal II
I don't know about Summerville, but the Cooper River in Charleston has more fossilized shark teeth than you can imagine. Of course, finding the huge, perfect one is the task.

Best advice I can give is to look where rocks and other fossils have accumulated in river and creek bottoms.

Good luck and have fun!

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a place just north of Summerville...Harleyville...at a working cement plant that they allow fossil hunting. I think it is just once every quarter. I will try and find out so more info. A cousin of mine has been there in the past and did real good. I will check with him on the particulars.

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
The quarry in Harleyville is the LeFarge Quarry located at the intersection of I-26 and road 453 at exit 177. You must make a reservation, the trips are set for the third Saturday in January, April, July, and October. Reservations are taken starting at 7:00 a.m. on the first day of the month proceeding the dig, so you'll need to call at 7:00 a.m. on December 1st to make reservations for the January dig. From what I understand, they're digging from the Harleyville Formation (Late Marine Eocene) and the Cross Formation (Middle Marine Eocene), you will find specimens of fossil shark teeth, bones, brachiopods, etc., you do not need to be a member of a club to attend the trips but you must make a reservation to attend.

contact: 843-462-7651 ext. 3200 on December 1st at 7:00 a.m., ask for Nell to schedule a trip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread