NEED INPUT MInElab Explorer SE or AT Pro? New Comer!

Byrdboys

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2016
OK
Detector(s) used
My newest Minelab Equinox 600 Love it!
Teknetics Omega 800
teknetics Delta 4000
Garrett 350
Bounty Hunter lone star
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm fairly new at this MD. My first detector BH Lone Star. Got it few yrs back just started using it last year. Found my first Merc Dime I was hooked along with my 4 boys! This year we bought a used Garrett 350 been finding clad & few old coins, bullets, etc. We found a Delta 4000 at pawn shop for $75. It's been a nice addition found more clad no silver yet. We Love how it works but go to G 350 at times. We normal use both machines and compare ID numbers & tones, etc. I have recently found a Minelab Explorer SE being sold by older man. He bought 5 yrs ago took it out about 5 times then had heart trouble now not able to MD any more due to health. He will take $400. I see its $1280 on Amazon new. What is others thoughts on this MD? Would this be an upgrade for myself & Boys? Is it worth 400? I've read Minelab no longer makes it discounted.
I'm trying to make Decision on Minelab E SE or Garrett AT Pro. I would like input from both sides Garrett & Minelab users. I really have about 500 or so to spend no more than that. Thanks for input! I'm willing to learn & look forward to finding great coins & other relics!

AT Pro would be a mistake...:occasion14:That SE is a great buy.

I've seen sandman posting about at pros and on one of his posts it was obvious he didn't use one for very long since he didn't know how the controls worked.

I have both machines. I've got thousands of hours in with the Garrett's (I've got both the at pro and at gold) and about 80 to 100 hours in with the Minelab SE Pro.
I'll take the AT Pro out every time over the SE. I just don't like the minelab.
I do agree that $400 for the SE is a smokin' deal. Be prepared to go extremely slow with the SE, and a learning curve for sure.

I have also noticed that the used AT Pro's are finally selling for under $400 but barely. I still wonder why a machine you can buy for about $500 new sells for such high prices, yet you can pickup, say a Minelab SE Pro, barely used, for less than a third the cost of new?? Seems odd to me.

The Minelab Explorer in any variation is a legendary coin shooting detector, in the hands of a the right operator it would be hard to beat one of them.... as the SE version is one of the last of that line of detectors, at $400 its being sold at a very good price. :thumbsup:

The AT Pro is also a very good detector, with the it being waterproof and a fast swinging machine some people also find it to be one of their favorites. The only thing I see that the AT Pro lacks is a threshold, a feature which allows you to hear the deepest of targets...

Both machines have a huge fan following and I suspect you will get a 50/50 opinion on this one. Mine would be you will enjoy either detector, if you take the time to learn its particular characteristics.

If you don't need it to be waterproof, I'd go with the Explorer. $400 is a very good price.

The AT Pro is not in the same league at the Minelab Explorer. The Explorer is the superior machine in EVERY aspect. It is like a Chevy Vega racing a Camaro. :skullflag:

I use both. I wade with the SE pro in fall and winter and the summer I use the AT pro. The AT pro is not good in trashy spots but the SE pro is

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and are based on my experience and hunting conditions and may or may not represent your areas.

I have been using the Garrett AT Pro & Gold metal detectors, as well as, the Minelab Explorer SE. All three machines have their pros and cons and one need remember they are just tools to use in a given situation. If you are coin shooter and do not mind swinging slow, purchase the Minelab it is by far a superior machine (has a learning curve) and for $ 400 dollars (a steal), if you do not buy it PM his information and I will buy it, always looking for a back-up. :icon_thumright:

I will say the AT Gold or AT Pro with the small 5” x 8” coil is deadly for coin shooting, but not as deep as the Minelab. The Pro’s are much lighter, require fewer batteries, waterproof and are fairly easy to learn.
If you are interested in beach hunting the Pro’s, being waterproof are well suited for the job. The con is that they are VLF detectors and may act up (chatter or loose depth) on the water line or in the ocean. The Minelab being multiple frequency purrs like a kitten even at higher sensitivity. The con it’s not waterproof and you need to protect the control box and battery compartment from ocean water and spray.

Do you hunt farm fields? The Minelab tends to act up of freshly plowed fields, where the Pro works reasonably well. On settled or compact fields the Minelab is my choice.

I would research both detectors, watch YouTube videos and listen to the audio of both machines, you may like one over the other.

In a final thought, since you have a Garrett 350, why not try the Minelab. You could always sell it for a profit if you do not like it and the price is right.

If you have any questions about how I use the machines, please PM me.

GL & HH

I use both. I wade with the SE pro in fall and winter and the summer I use the AT pro. The AT pro is not good in trashy spots but the SE pro is

The at pro is not good in trashy spots!? What!? This is where it excels. I bring it into trash over my e trac every time.

Let's not forget where you posted this Byrdboys. You're going to get a lot of favoritism to the minelab here and if you post it in the Garrett section then you'll get the opposite...

Thanks for input from a few of you. That's my one concern about repair & Minelab standing behind its product. My Ace 350 has been acting up. No battery read out, sensitivity not showing up & when I scroll through hunting options just three are showing up. But I know when it's on coins. It's actually still working and finding targets. Does Garrett stand behind their MD? I haven't called them yet. I bought it used so I maybe out of Luck. My thinking is FBS gives you more target ability, possible finding more/great items. Where the AT pro has just 4 Frequencies/ability I think. I'm I thinking correct? Why would you not want FBS technology seems to offer you more possible treasures. Or maybe trash. From what I'm reading it all about practice makes perfect almost lol. I do like the waterproof Option on AT but not a big water/beach hunter yet. It does seem to be a little tougher built wise. Other than the depth comparisons between AT & ML is one better at finding coins/relics than the other? I mean I guess all coins & relics fall in a certain Frequency anyway. Do need 28 or just 4? Decisions decisions! I guess if I can get MIneL SE for 300/350 that would be a know brainier? Just trying to cover myself if it dies on me in the future. Lol! Keep the input coming! Im enjoying learning & trying to make my choice with your input it great!

I do some farm fields actually hunted one today with my Delta 4000. Found a key, some old cans & a nugget of some type not sure what it is. It comes up 85/88. Not gold but looks silverish with some black etc. found it 8" deep. Oh well it looks really cool.
Thanks for input! Still haven't decided. I like some of the AT features waterproof & rugged build but that Minelab price is really good. I Might get him to take 350 he really I think he really wants to move on from MD. I Love to find coins old ones especially
So research & enjoying reading you & others post! Thanks again!

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and are based on my experience and hunting conditions and may or may not represent your areas.

I have been using the Garrett AT Pro & Gold metal detectors, as well as, the Minelab Explorer SE. All three machines have their pros and cons and one need remember they are just tools to use in a given situation. If you are coin shooter and do not mind swinging slow, purchase the Minelab it is by far a superior machine (has a learning curve) and for $ 400 dollars (a steal), if you do not buy it PM his information and I will buy it, always looking for a back-up. :icon_thumright:

I will say the AT Gold or AT Pro with the small 5” x 8” coil is deadly for coin shooting, but not as deep as the Minelab. The Pro’s are much lighter, require fewer batteries, waterproof and are fairly easy to learn.
If you are interested in beach hunting the Pro’s, being waterproof are well suited for the job. The con is that they are VLF detectors and may act up (chatter or loose depth) on the water line or in the ocean. The Minelab being multiple frequency purrs like a kitten even at higher sensitivity. The con it’s not waterproof and you need to protect the control box and battery compartment from ocean water and spray.

Do you hunt farm fields? The Minelab tends to act up of freshly plowed fields, where the Pro works reasonably well. On settled or compact fields the Minelab is my choice.

I would research both detectors, watch YouTube videos and listen to the audio of both machines, you may like one over the other.

In a final thought, since you have a Garrett 350, why not try the Minelab. You could always sell it for a profit if you do not like it and the price is right.

If you have any questions about how I use the machines, please PM me.

GL & HH

I do some farm fields actually hunted one today with my Delta 4000. Found a key, some old cans & a nugget of some type not sure what it is. It comes up 85/88. Not gold but looks silverish with some black etc. found it 8" deep. Oh well it looks really cool.
Thanks for input! Still haven't decided. I like some of the AT features waterproof & rugged build but that Minelab price is really good. I Might get him to take 350 he really I think he really wants to move on from MD. I Love to find coins old ones especially
So research & enjoying reading you & others post! Thanks again!

Hello Byrdboys,

I hope this may help you.

I do understand your concern with Minelab’s service department, but many people have had a good experience. Fortunately, I have never had a machine fail. I have had to service a Garrett and Tesoro Machine and both of those companies were fantastic.

To answer the question of frequency of the two machine choices:

The Garrett AT Pro has an operating frequency of 15KHz, while the AT Gold an 18KHz. Both Garrett’s are single frequency machines. The 4 frequencies you speak of are for an offset, to combat EMI or similar frequency detectors operating within a small distance of each other; while the Minelab transmits three frequencies (low, middle and high) simultaneously based on the ground conditions. The machine will actually select the best set of three frequencies to operate in the conditions presented to the detector.

I am not a brand loyal person, but use the best machine for the job. Each of the machines I own has their strengths and weakness, but all of them are superior in some aspect and therefore are needed for my artifact recovery business. To me they are tools used for a specific job, just like a mechanic has his tool chest. Now, there is some overlap in some of the benefits of each detector that I own, but that is also the fun of playing with new technology.

GL & HH

Doc

The at pro is not good in trashy spots!? What!? This is where it excels. I bring it into trash over my e trac every time.

I have to disagree that the AT Pro excels in high trash. You must have never done the rusty nail test with your machine? Take a dime and lay it on clean ground and lay 2 old rusty nails 1/2" on either side and you can never even hear the coin, only the nails. You can swing in any direction can never hear the coin. The AT masks may good targets in heavy iron. I have an Etrac and a F75SE and can do the same test and hear the coin every time. The Etrac is still not in the same league though as the F75 in high trash.

I had to actually do this test after I heard that the at pro masks and I found that it is 100% false. I can hear the dime between the two nails with my at pro or at gold.

If you can buy an Explorer SE Pro in pristine condition for $400 you better jump on it!

I have to disagree that the AT Pro excels in high trash. You must have never done the rusty nail test with your machine? Take a dime and lay it on clean ground and lay 2 old rusty nails 1/2" on either side and you can never even hear the coin, only the nails. You can swing in any direction can never hear the coin. The AT masks may good targets in heavy iron. I have an Etrac and a F75SE and can do the same test and hear the coin every time. The Etrac is still not in the same league though as the F75 in high trash.

Apparently you have never done this test with the 5x8 coil. I know for a fact I can pick up the coin with the nails even closer than that.

Last edited:
Well since your from OK (not my area) & asked in the Minelab Forum
I got only one Choice for ya

Minelab :icon_thumleft:

The at pro is more versatile as it includes the waterproof feature so you can water hunt as well as land hunt. The minelab fbs detectors seem to like silver coins awful well. It just depends on your preference but for 400 if it was me, I would buy the minelab.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back