What's new

Need opinions on coin!

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
1,490
Reaction score
357
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok so on December 28, 2012 I dug an 1832 Capped Bust Half Dime. Ever since then I haven't even washed the dirt off and it's been a coin mount (2x2). Should I take it out and run it under water and get the dirt off? You can't see the front with the dirt on it. Would there be any harm in doing this after 9 months? I'm thinking about putting it in a slab. I would love to see it without the dirt! Should I do this or not? It was my first silver.



image-1748530689.webp



image-1900409568.webp
 
Let it soak in water first since it's dry dirt to loosen it up some, then just put under the sink and let the running water take the dirt off. Even with a coin that's worth money simply taking the dirt off won't hurt the value and is still considered uncleaned, just don't rub it with the dirt on it as that will put fine scratches on the coin and don't use any cleaning compounds just plain water and leave any oxidation that it has on it. HH
 
Let it soak in water first since it's dry dirt to loosen it up some, then just put under the sink and let the running water take the dirt off. Even with a coin that's worth money simply taking the dirt off won't hurt the value and is still considered uncleaned, just don't rub it with the dirt on it as that will put fine scratches on the coin and don't use any cleaning compounds just plain water and leave any oxidation that it has on it. HH

Would it take some details away? Just wondering thanks!
 
Hell of a First Silver....Nice find man
 
That's a nice coin but Im wondering if just brushing it with a dry toothbrush first might be the best solution?
 
SCD, what a great first silver you found. As others have advised and I agree, soak it in water and then rinse. A very soft tooth brush would be ok also I think. It's a nice coin but perhaps because of the hole, it would be less of a concern to gently clean it. If it were my coin I would try to clean it up. If you do, throw a pic up so we can see how it turns out. HH
 
If you just want to clean it and intend to keep it for yourself, you probably can do pretty much what you want. Within reason of course.
luvdux
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom