Need some additional info

RickyP

Feb 13, 2008
Prairieville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Explorer SE, Whites DFX
I was digging through some of my old finds and found some items that I've never been able to completely ID and was hoping ya'll could give a little more info. Thanks for looking

Medical or Veterinarian? They have the number 13 stamped on them and measure 12" long. I found these in the Port Hudson battle field area many years ago but never got any positive ID on them

036.jpg

034.jpg

This letter opener is made of brass and has the word belgique on the butt plate

100_2039.jpg

I have a lot of items that I found in the mid to late'80's and never had a means of identifying them. I'm gonna start posting a few at a time for ya'll to help me with, if you can. Thanks for looking

RickyP

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I think Belgique is the way the French spell Belgium. The other tool seems to be an old medical forceps, but which one specifically, I don't know. Hope it helps.

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Your forceps would have been made after 1895....because the locking ratchet design wasnt produced until then.
If you see ratchet locks, it is not Civil War era

Upvote 0

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
The surgical instrument is a tenaculum for large heavy tissue, such as what is used on the uterus in hysterectomies. It is way too big to be a towel clamp, and the picture in the towel clamp post is actually an Allis tissue forcep used to hold onto smaller tissue.

If I am right, the one you found is about 12-18 inches long? Sometimes, when you are having surgery to remove something, like a uterus, that is large and difficult to grasp, an aggressive clamp like the one you found with big teeth is used to get a good grip so you can manipulate it. It looks just like a slightly older version of a modern clamp that I can't remember the name of. I will find out and re post.

Towel clamps are small, 3-4 inches, and usually have one sharp tooth to penetrate the towel. Allises are frequently used to hold drapes in place, but they are primarily for grabbing small, slippery tissue.

I have been a surgical technician for 5 years, and I hope I haven't grossed anyone out with the details.
V

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
actually I found it quite fascinating but that is me! :wink: I appreciate the info....I am sure it was helpful for others as well. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
vthepresident said:
The surgical instrument is a tenaculum for large heavy tissue, such as what is used on the uterus in hysterectomies. It is way too big to be a towel clamp, and the picture in the towel clamp post is actually an Allis tissue forcep used to hold onto smaller tissue.

If I am right, the one you found is about 12-18 inches long? Sometimes, when you are having surgery to remove something, like a uterus, that is large and difficult to grasp, an aggressive clamp like the one you found with big teeth is used to get a good grip so you can manipulate it. It looks just like a slightly older version of a modern clamp that I can't remember the name of. I will find out and re post.

Towel clamps are small, 3-4 inches, and usually have one sharp tooth to penetrate the towel. Allises are frequently used to hold drapes in place, but they are primarily for grabbing small, slippery tissue.

I have been a surgical technician for 5 years, and I hope I haven't grossed anyone out with the details.
V

Ouch! Sounds painful.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions