what is this???? Gold????

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
I found this big hunk of what looks like coal today at the beach.
coal.jpg

When I picked it up, I noticed some sections that looked like metal, when the light hit them they shone like gold.

I Managed to get a small peice of the goldish colored metal out of the black coal like chunk. It will not stick to a magnet, so I don't think it is fools gold.

Here are some more mics of the areas of gold like metal. The pictures really don't capture the metallic shine that it gives off.
coal2.jpg

coal3.jpg

Does anyone have a clue what either thing is?

While the stuff in the second photo definately is not gold, you may want to get that stuff that was sandwiched in the last photo looked at. Kinda hard to tell from the photo, but it could be gold or copper. We have "veins" of that black stuff around here, and it's like a gold magnet, I swear. Pulled more flakes from that stuff than any other kind of trap.

Upvote 0
This was found off the east coast of Florida about 10 miles south of Daytona.

When rubbed on concrete is leaves a dark black crayon like mark, on paper it is more goldish brown in color.
The size of the guitar shaped part is about 1/4 inch, the other area is about 3/4 inch. They are just located on the surface in variad areas. It seems very dense and heavier than something of it's size. To me it does have a faint charred smell.

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
The piece in the first photo is the whole thing. The smaller areas are just close-ups of the shiny areas of the larger black piece.
Where would you take the smaller pieces to have them looked at?

Upvote 0
sorry to say, but in my opinion the gold looking material looks like its been heated and poured / dropped on the stone, i see a trace of spatter
When I see posts like this from someone that only has a couple post, I get a bit suspicious.
Sorry, but at this time, I'm not buying this.
The rock doesn't look like coal.
I don't recall coal being related to gold

Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
OK, so I'm missing something (as usual, I know). Are they rocks or pieces of burned wood?
Could it be burnt wood?

Did you find it with a metal detector or by eyeball?

We are just asking questions to try to help.

Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
OK, so I'm missing something (as usual, I know). Are they rocks or pieces of burned wood?

I am not sure being that it was found in the surf, I thought it could be burnt wood that has been smoothed by the surf.

My dad seems to think that it is burnt wood from an old ship and that maybe the metal is gold that melted when the ship burned.

Upvote 0
stitchlips said:
TreasureTales said:

I am not sure being that it was found in the surf, I thought it could be burnt wood that has been smoothed by the surf.

My dad seems to think that it is burnt wood from an old ship and that maybe the metal is gold that melted when the ship burned.
YES. I like the idea!

Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
If they are metal of some sort, I'd try a jeweler. If they are rock, I'd try a rock shop/lapidary store or a college geology teacher. Did you try to pry them off the rock? Are they malleable (bend without breaking)?

I did chip a very small piece off of it and it came off very easily, my wife pressed her fingernail against the small piece and it just kinda crumbled.

Upvote 0
Wood would be soft and very light when it dries completely. it may be waterlogged still.

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
TreasureTales said:
Could it be burnt wood?

Did you find it with a metal detector or by eyeball?

We are just asking questions to try to help.

No I kicked it in the surf. I was in about knee deep water.

Upvote 0
Burnt wood, i think i see a nail head. As far a gold - Coins are placed under the masts. Maybe

Upvote 0
Dont break it apart!! It may have more value complete as a shipwreck artifact. Do you have metal detector?

Upvote 0
Metal can be tested with Nitric Acid or at pawn or jewelry shop. Nice find!

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Dont break it apart!! It may have more value complete as a shipwreck artifact. Do you have metal detector?

That's what I was thinking.
My son has a cheap national geographic metal detector. I will see if it does anything.

Upvote 0
stitchlips said:
bigcypresshunter said:

My son has a cheap national geographic metal detector. I will see if it does anything.
Thats all you need is a beep. Take it outside away from anything metal.

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
stitchlips said:
bigcypresshunter said:

Thats all you need is a beep. Take it outside away from anything metal.

no beeps, darn it.... Not sure if it would pick up gold or not.

Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
C'mon you guys - where is your curiosity? Take a hammer and give that baby about 40 whacks. Then you can collect the other material (the "gold") and see if it is unusually heavy for its size. I bet it's just clam poo. :tard:

The metallic areas are very thin so it would be hard to tell weight unless there is a big chunk in the middle.

Upvote 0
Copper sheeting maybe. Here is the round nail head.

Attachments

• coal3arrow.JPG
    coal3arrow.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 378
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back