✅ SOLVED Need some help identifying and aging this button please.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this on Tuesday, but it has taken me a while to clean it. I found it at the same site at which I found the old coin posted a while back:

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 8.18.05 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 8.18.18 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Your brass one-piece button's very-specific version of eagle emblem is that of the Russian Army, in the late-1800s through World War One. The photos below show a Russian Army Ordnance Corps one-piece button whose backmark says 1893. Note, although Prussia and Austria have used a very similar two-headed eagle emblem, this button's backmark seems to be written in Russian.

Because more than just a couple of Prussian and Austrian army buttons have been dug in rural US locations, I should mention that diggers wonder how a WW1 European-nation military button came to be lost in a rural US location. Many Prussian-German POWs were held in rural prison camps in the US during WW1, and some of the POWs (who were clothed in the uniform they got captured in) lost some buttons. I have a vague recollection of reading that at that time some Axis POWs were used as farm labor, to grow the food they were fed.

Attachments

• button_foreign_Russian-Imperial-Army_WW1_brass_19a4c8cf0.jpg
    button_foreign_Russian-Imperial-Army_WW1_brass_19a4c8cf0.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 8
  • button_foreign_Russian-Imperial-Army_WW1_Ordnance-Corps_backview_19a5c8c50.jpg
    button_foreign_Russian-Imperial-Army_WW1_Ordnance-Corps_backview_19a5c8c50.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 6
Thanks.. I have been trying to figure out the design in the center, but haven't been able to find that. I figured it was certainly a Russian-themed button, but the center is odd.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back