Need some help on this....Is it what it looks like?

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
I found this on a site of a war of 1812 cantonment Directly across from the Officers quarters (still standing)...I am unsure of what exactly it is but it looks alot like a toy cannon. It has what looks like a fuse hole in the top side also. Can anyone place a date or value on this also???
6hdb2gg.jpg

6bwumg7.jpg

5z251mx.jpg

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
It appears to be made out of pewter...And is quite heavy...Would you think it could date to the time of the cantonment? It is the first thing i found there today...It was pouring and i only dug one hole....grrr

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
outraged said:
It appears to be made out of pewter...And is quite heavy...Would you think it could date to the time of the cantonment? It is the first thing i found there today...It was pouring and i only dug one hole....grrr

Pewter would not a cannon make... I don't think.

And yes, it could date to the area being populated 1812ish, or a military cantonment area, sure.

Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cannon you have might be as Montana said, a toy shooter or mini salute. Its shape has a profile similar to an original 32-pound Dahlgren from the mid 1850's. Call it wishful thinking but, maybe Dalgren was in this area as a young officer and had this made as a model or prototype for the real deal decades later :o

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could fire it very easily. It would work much like a muzzle loading rifle or pistol. I'd build a little wooden wheeled cart or something substantial to mount it on. Even if you never fire it , a little hand built carriage would be a perfect way to display it and would make a very interesting project. You can find examples to pattern it after by looking them up on the net. I had given deailed instructions how to fire it but on second thought I deleted it. Someone who is not familiar with handling black powder could easily hurt themselves or bystanders. And if you are familiar with the characteristics of black powder you won't need instructions. Excellent find! I'd love to have something like that to tinker with. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread