What's new

need some opinions on pottery artifact

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This piece was found where some very interesting Pottery has been found.. drilled disc pendants.. even a pottery plummet.
It's not broken anywhere and has visible manufacture marks all the way around in an obvious pattern to create this shape. It's fairly thick for its size I'm not sure that will show up in photos. It's convex on one side and concave on the other. a couple markings on the "top" corners almost look more like wear marks than tool marks.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ForumRunner_20130312_120450.webp



ForumRunner_20130312_120529.webp



ForumRunner_20130312_120632.webp
 
Upvote 0
Its way too light.
 
River or beach tumbled Gator. I find it smooth like that sometimes. Its a miracle the stuff last like it does.
 
Last edited:
I understand where you're coming from... but it's actually not tumbled at all. Also.. the pottery at that site appears to have been either made with slip.. or it was just the firing process that gave it a different color on the outside. Either way it has "layers" of different color that are visible where there is a broken edge. I will get one now.

ForumRunner_20130313_232204.webp
 
It might not show up in photos but there are visible striations in the clay that originate from the edge following the contour all the way around. You can really see it was made into that shape.
 
I hope you find what it was used for. This one is actually a dark red color and was hit a few times. It feels like stone.

I don't think that's pottery... that's probably why it feels like stone.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom