What's new

Need suggestions on keeping my keys dry.

general

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2004
Messages
509
Reaction score
73
Golden Thread
0
Location
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
I've tried ziplocks and they leak. I might go to a dive shop for a waterproof case. Modern keys have a chip which could be damaged by salt water. I was lucky my remote wasnt fried.
 
Upvote 0
Waterproof bag is what I use, been using the same bag for about 4 years now, still hasn't leaked.....

I am using the universal medium waterproof case......holds my keys and a phone if I want it with me.....

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/medunicase.html
 
i got a key that only opens the door, it wont start the car. i lock the keys inside, take the five dollar key with me on a wwjd lanyard.
 
Otterbox for cell phone and keys and a few bucks. People claim that they will never take a cell phone detecting. Many things can happen. Heat issue. Sea creature sting. Step on something sharp. Twist an ankle. Or just keep going down the beach and have the wife pick you up when you are ready. A little tip. Put the Otterbox lanyard around your belt. You don't want to lose that.
 
Same as above. I use a flat key that opens the trunk. I put my keys in the trunk and put the flat key on a shoestring around my neck. Problem solved
 
gallienus267 said:
Same as above. I use a flat key that opens the trunk. I put my keys in the trunk and put the flat key on a shoestring around my neck. Problem solved

Last year, one of those killer hot days where you leave the windows down.

At a local golf course, fella took off his big diamond ring, bracelet, watch, and his wallet, put them in the trunk.

Never thought about the inside trunk latch.

He was a car salesman at that.

His girlfriend said one word: Dumb=a LOL :laughing7: :laughing7:

Oh yeah, his stuff was gone before he got started.
 
aquapak.......... phone, cam, keys
 

Attachments

  • SNAG-0002.webp
    SNAG-0002.webp
    6.8 KB · Views: 366
A flat key from Wal*mart clipped to my gear belt. I also have a hid-a-key box on all of my vehicles.
 
davidfl said:
i got a key that only opens the door, it wont start the car. i lock the keys inside, take the five dollar key with me on a wwjd lanyard.

This is what I do.

Some guys place the keys on top of a tire or in the gas lid door. I never bother taking the cell phone with me as I can see who wanted to disturb me when I get back to the car.
 
Thanks for all the replies! I have some great suggestions.
 
Full coverage insurance. Please take my truck!!!!!, lol.

Seriously, my wife bought me an otter box for our boat. I put the registration card, key, id in it. Works great.
I get all my snorkling and water sport stuff from LeisurePro
http://www.leisurepro.com
Check the "watertight cases"
 
littlebill31 said:
Full coverage insurance. Please take my truck!!!!!, lol.

Seriously, my wife bought me an otter box for our boat. I put the registration card, key, id in it. Works great.
I get all my snorkling and water sport stuff from LeisurePro
http://www.leisurepro.com
Check the "watertight cases"

I have tried everything and sooner or later everything will leak and you will ruin your stuff. I have a key pad on my door so I just lock them inside but if I didnt I would glue a strong earth magnet to the key and stick it under my bumper or what ever when no one is looking....
 
Leave the car at home and ride your bike to the beach?? :dontknow:
 
I drop mine in the sand and cover it, then use my MD if i have to to find it. I know some of you are thinking "REALLY?" Really, I do....Just always thinking another MD'er may find them. Oppps.
 
:coffee2:
at disney water parks they sell cases that are water tight.
sea world also has them.
good luck,
urdaboss
 
Stash them on dry land ... it is an art ... :icon_pirat:
 
I usually use one of those waterproof containers you wear around your neck that you can buy at just about any beach. I wouldn't recommend the 'hide a key'. That's too common and can easily be found because people always put them in the same place.

The simplest solution is to just get a duplicate key made. Not another chip, just a regular key. You won't be able to start your car with it, but you won't have to. Lock your keys and whatever else in the trunk and just keep the regular key in your pocket or wear it around your neck. This allows you to get back in your trunk and get your regular keys again. If you keep this key in your pocket and it gets wet, so what. Just wipe it off and it will still work in your trunk or car door. It's the cheapest way out of your problem.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!
 
Looks like I'll have to get one of the waterproof cases. With my luck lately, if I bury or hide the key it will be found by someone. My Nissan wont let me leave the key in the car. It wont lock unless you remove the key. Thanks again for the advice.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom