Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone help me with the app to program I’ve tried every which Way but loose and I’m still getting rusty nails all rusty bottle tops nothing is changed. If you know the secret I’m the best man telling to is anyone else having this problem? It works when it’s on top of the ground but it’s a total different story when it’s underground. You will be forever and my graces.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking about the Equinox800?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When all else fails I go back to factory presets. Sometimes apps just mess things up. I'd first try what you used to do, and then go from there.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When all else fails I go back to factory presets. Sometimes apps just mess things up. I'd first try what you used to do, and then go from there.

What the Cat said, no matter the machine....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, no matter what machine. Some apps are done with specific areas or sites in mind and won't work well other places.

Tasmorn

Jun 9, 2013
Laplace, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the same with my 800. Its must be the Louisiana soil. No matter if I put f2 at 0 or 9 the rusty nail rings high.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you talking about the Equinox800?

Yeah the F2 setting isn’t doing anything spectacular different to me. I went one through nine just testing. The square nails will false as well old vintage bottle tops it sound like Quarters. I hope it’s just me and I’m doing something wrong. When you do it on the ground it’ll work like it should work in the afternoon if they’re already buried it’s open and ringing just like every other time.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the same with my 800. Its must be the Louisiana soil. No matter if I put f2 at 0 or 9 the rusty nail rings high.

Exactly and that beautiful and roundness sound sounds like SLQ coming your way!!!!

Rusted out 1940’s roasted top, but then when you wave it over your coil you don’t hear it. I want the truth and I can handle the truth lol

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, no matter what machine. Some apps are done with specific areas or sites in mind and won't work well other places.

And wonder should I leave my ground balance of zero like to recommend or do I use it I tried them both ways and both of them stink so I don’t know

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusty bottlecap tid numbers are fairly unstable for me (this becomes more apparent audibly if you are using 50 tones. Also, if you do a 5 khz bottlecap check to see if ID changes or if you simply lift or slighly pump your coil, it happens) vs. actual silver. Also, I continuously hunt in all metal mostly and with all metal engaged, the rusty caps also give an iron grunt that is enhanced with higher iron bias settings (you don't need to hunt in AM though, you can just check the target as needed with the AM horseshoe button too). Also, yes you should ground balance, otherwise you will get a lot of ground noise in all metal which will make all non-ferrous appear to grunt. Unfortunately, really deep silver can start to get an unstable ID and grunt too but the high tone sounds more "solid" (advanced skill. this is pretty nuanced).

Nails are similar but have more of a ferrous grunt and don’t typically sound like coins because they are not round discs, therefore many of the above skills are applicable.

Yeah, I have to train my ear on each outing and may dig a few crown caps at the beginning, but after awhile their tells (unstable id, grunt, "hollow" high tone) become pretty obvious, especially if I am also digging silver. It is pretty nuanced, and a learned skill that takes practice. There are no magic settings that make this obvious without practice and a lot of regular swing time and the "skill" dissipates with extended time off between outings. Hope you can handle that truth, Truth. ;)

Update: BTW as High VDI said below, if you are not digging iron, you are probably missing targets. One way I look at using the above tips, even if I am going to dig the iffy signal anyway, is setting my expectation appropriately that the target probably is junk, so if I do get surprised, it is a pleasant surprise. The key is recognizing you are digging an iffy signal in the first place.

HTH HH

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best update is your shovel removing the iron ect to unmask the goodies. Unfortunately no machine is above this......yet.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty bottlecap tid numbers are fairly unstable for me (this becomes more apparent audibly if you are using 50 tones. Also, if you do a 5 khz bottlecap check to see if ID changes or if you simply lift or slighly pump your coil, it happens) vs. actual silver. Also, I continuously hunt in all metal mostly and with all metal engaged, the rusty caps also give an iron grunt that is enhanced with higher iron bias settings (you don't need to hunt in AM though, you can just check the target as needed with the AM horseshoe button too). Also, yes you should ground balance, otherwise you will get a lot of ground noise in all metal which will make all non-ferrous appear to grunt. Unfortunately, really deep silver can start to get an unstable ID and grunt too but the high tone sounds more "solid" (advanced skill. this is pretty nuanced).

Nails are similar but have more of a ferrous grunt and don’t typically sound like coins because they are not round discs, therefore many of the above skills are applicable.

Yeah, I have to train my ear on each outing and may dig a few crown caps at the beginning, but after awhile their tells (unstable id, grunt, "hollow" high tone) become pretty obvious, especially if I am also digging silver. It is pretty nuanced, and a learned skill that takes practice. There are no magic settings that make this obvious without practice and a lot of regular swing time and the "skill" dissipates with extended time off between outings. Hope you can handle that truth, Truth. ;)

Update: BTW as High VDI said below, if you are not digging iron, you are probably missing targets. One way I look at using the above tips, even if I am going to dig the iffy signal anyway, is setting my expectation appropriately that the target probably is junk, so if I do get surprised, it is a pleasant surprise. The key is recognizing you are digging an iffy signal in the first place.

HTH HH

Man I miss you lol I hear exactly what you’re saying I was thinking about switching to FC town so I can learn more of a different sound made. And as far as the ground balance goes doesn’t matter how high it gets too because our soil will bring in 70s and 80s and something makes me think that’s to high. Also What recovery speed do you keep it at I’m gonna do 50 tones at 4. Sensitivity. What do you think v?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best update is your shovel removing the iron ect to unmask the goodies. Unfortunately no machine is above this......yet.

I’m on the Indian Shellmound that was also when they built the revolutionary fort which became an amusement park in the 60s so they have a lot of square nails and bottle caps and then there’s a white shells which was a Indian mound that Was there before the fort in the fort. In the late 1700sI. Now this place has been Doug off by LSU archaeologist and then they had plenty of metal detecting I’m sure in the 80s so now you really have to hunt hard I have found a halftime a great shot a revolutionary infiltrate Louisiana pewter button and two awesome axhead have you seen my ax heads? I found them last year.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I miss you lol I hear exactly what you’re saying I was thinking about switching to FC town so I can learn more of a different sound made. And as far as the ground balance goes doesn’t matter how high it gets too because our soil will bring in 70s and 80s and something makes me think that’s to high. Also What recovery speed do you keep it at I’m gonna do 50 tones at 4. Sensitivity. What do you think v?

I pretty much keep recovery speed at the default or within 1 or 2 of the default for whichever mode I'm using. I won't ever go below 4 and seldom go to 4 because it introduces more ground noise and seems more susceptible to interference. HTH

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m on the Indian Shellmound that was also when they built the revolutionary fort which became an amusement park in the 60s so they have a lot of square nails and bottle caps and then there’s a white shells which was a Indian mound that Was there before the fort in the fort. In the late 1700sI. Now this place has been Doug off by LSU archaeologist and then they had plenty of metal detecting I’m sure in the 80s so now you really have to hunt hard I have found a halftime a great shot a revolutionary infiltrate Louisiana pewter button and two awesome axhead have you seen my ax heads? I found them last year.

I do remember the half dime....or two maybe? Not the axe heads though. Sounds like an interesting site. I'd be a diggin fool there.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do remember the half dime....or two maybe? Not the axe heads though. Sounds like an interesting site. I'd be a diggin fool there.

IMG_2766.jpg IMG_2734.jpg IMG_2733.jpg Adjustments.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pretty much keep recovery speed at the default or within 1 or 2 of the default for whichever mode I'm using. I won't ever go below 4 and seldom go to 4 because it introduces more ground noise and seems more susceptible to interference. HTH

Hey V even with the new F2 program and using all metal I’m still get good signals and it iron or bottle cap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread