What's new

Need to Date a Bird

snaps

Sr. Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
460
Reaction score
564
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
Well, a brooch or pin really. Hey everyone, just dug this guy, and have not a clue how old it is. Its 2 Inches wing to wing.

Hope your getting out there
Thanks for looking
Snaps
 

Attachments

  • bluebird front.webp
    bluebird front.webp
    957.8 KB · Views: 111
  • bluebird back.webp
    bluebird back.webp
    827.2 KB · Views: 85
I'm thinking no earlier than the 1930s costume piece that once had a gold plating. It looks like a Swallow bird, which is a symbol that represents faithfulness and a want of a loved one to return home safely. Could have been a popular WW2 time piece of jewelry to wear.
 
Upvote 0
I'm thinking no earlier than the 1930s costume piece that once had a gold plating. It looks like a Swallow bird, which is a symbol that represents faithfulness and a want of a loved one to return home safely. Could have been a popular WW2 time piece of jewelry to wear.

It's actually a hair barrette.

Agree with tamrock. It's a Swallow. Popular wedding symbol in Victorian times because they mate for life. Early to mid 20th C just based on it's construction. But I'm only guessing...
 
Upvote 0
Is it stamped metal or cast?

It looks cast and seems to heavy for a hair barrette, even though it does resemble one.
 
Upvote 0
Definitely a hair barrette, and I think it is much newer than Victorian. I think mid 20th century by the mechanism.
 
Upvote 0
I see one as a broach on ebay for sale right now. It's silver.
 
Upvote 0
Tamrock thanks, it has no trace of gold gilt at all-if it was gold-plated, the ground thoroughly enjoyed it! Matt thanks, was calling it a broach, and I thought it was a bluebird, possibly associated with the girl scouts-Pete thanks I guess its stamped, but a heavy and thick stamp-Gunsil thanks, sad its not older, was found in a civil war camp-Goldie thanks, looked for that and couldnt find it
 
Upvote 0
Well you might be right about the bluebird. It is a Campfire Girls motif.
 

Attachments

  • 66ec80b9921fc6bac3dc8fe237a85e33.webp
    66ec80b9921fc6bac3dc8fe237a85e33.webp
    168.8 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom