Need WV MDing info

4dcr

Mar 31, 2006
Boston
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, White's DFX & Garrett ACE 250
I will be traveling to the Clarksburg area of WV this week and understand Metal Detecting is a big no in WV.

Is there anyone who can bring me up-to-date on the laws of MDing in WV.

I surely do not want to get into trouble away from home.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also if MDing is OK I would not mind hooking up with others for a hunt.

HH -DDos

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Varies by location . Private property requires written permission to trespass . State controlled public
access areas rules differ by location . Fairmont , WV , a few minutes north of Clarksburg ; has many municipal parks and school grounds that are wide open .
Ask before you swing and avoid trouble ;D
Enjoy the visit . We have so many ways that you are bound to like some of them .

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
They would have a hard time busting you for mding in the woods get a hand held gps extra batteries and take off to some woods I am sure some army has gone through that area with all the war that has been in that area.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
".... Metal Detecting is a big no in WV"?

As you can see from Butch's reply, city parks within the state of WV (he gives examples of some) have no bearing on state-level rules are for state owned lands.

There is a common misconception in the md'ing community, that if someone sees state level land rules (like if they are looking at rules for a particular state's parks) that seem dire, that therefore this must apply to all public land, within that state. (Afterall ..... they reason ..... county, or city level land, is within the state, right?) But this is a mis-conception. There might be a LOT of states with dire sounding rules, for their state parks. But that has no bearing on city, county, private, etc.... Those parks can have their own rules, as they are not state land.

Basically, for city or county level land (parks, schools, etc...), if it's not specifically prohibited, then so be it. Rules are usually available at city hall websites, or on the wooden sign at the park's entrances.

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go for a drive enjoy the new scenery, and knock some doors, if its private property and they say yes then your good, plus I have always found the most obv places you can find to hunt on a vacation have been hunted a lot not to say they are hunted out but if your not shy go for private yards in an older part of town.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread