Negative permission turns positive (at the same permission)

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to do a door knock at a home built in 1900, and the lady politely turned me down. I decided to drive to another town (only 5 minutes away) to do a church yard or two. While I'm detecting the church yard, my daughter called me and said that I could go back to the first house where I was just turned away ! These are a few small towns with populations of 600 - 700, so everybody knows everything. Turns out that after I left the lady's house, she jumps on Facebook and other social media saying that someone named Ron was just at her door asking permission to look around her yard with a metal detector, and had anyone ever heard of such a thing. My daughter lives in this same small town, and when it hit social media, the boards lit up ! People were telling this lady that I was a hobbyist and had looked around their yards before, and I wasn't going to hurt her. Next thing you know, my daughter gets the call telling me to go back there, so I did. I get to her door to confirm what's going on, and she actually apologizes for turning me down the first time ! She said she is single, so you can't be to careful even in small town America. I agreed and told her not to worry about it, I had been turned down before. So, I had only enough time to detect the front yard, and got to it. Very first hit was this sterling band found right along the sidewalk, and the great looking "Good For 5 cents in Merchandise" token showed up a few minutes later. It says "Rens place". The good thing is, is that I told her I would not get her whole yard done in the time I had, and she said to come back anytime. I will do that, because I still have the back yard to look thru, and will go thru the front yard again just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I really lucked out on this one, because the lady is also giving me permission to look thru her moms yard, and the home was built in 1905. This one sure turned out for the better. From a refusal, to getting two yards to look around. What a good day.

Attachments

• ring.JPG
    ring.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 128
  • ring1.JPG
    ring1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 104
  • ring2.JPG
    ring2.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • ring3.JPG
    ring3.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 69
Upvote 32

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a door to door salesman! Good going with new contacts. Sound like you opened a new detecting world.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you offer her the ring?

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's odd, but turned out great. I asked permission once to search a yard in the neighborhood where I grew up. A house has been torn down to make way for a government assistance home where if you meet certain criteria, they build a new home, furnish it with brand new appliances, and give it to you for free (that's crazy). The lady angrily told me a firm NO because she 'didn't want me to do anything that would cause structural issues to her new home they were going to build' LOL

Randy Combs

Sep 16, 2013
FREDONIA KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Predator Raptor
Predator Phoenix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is a great story, good luck sometimes comes!

OP
OP
Trezurehunter

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you offer her the ring?
I sure did, but she said she has only lived there the last 3 years and it does not belong to her. She was actually standing next to me when I dug it, as she was now curious about the hobby. It was the first item I dug. The home has been used as a rental property for the last 40 years, and has seen many occupants, so it could belong to anyone. She did say that she would like half of the gold bar that I may find, so I did make an agreement to that. As my luck would go, this will be the yard that I do find a gold bar in !

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a great story- Congrats, and excellent finds with more to come I'm sure!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure did, but she said she has only lived there the last 3 years and it does not belong to her. She was actually standing next to me when I dug it, as she was now curious about the hobby. It was the first item I dug. The home has been used as a rental property for the last 40 years, and has seen many occupants, so it could belong to anyone. She did say that she would like half of the gold bar that I may find, so I did make an agreement to that. As my luck would go, this will be the yard that I do find a gold bar in !

1/2 bar wouldn't be hard to live with...

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story! That's great that she reached back out! Congrats on the great finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread