New At Cache Hunting Can any one Help

C

Colorado Kid

Has any one been to South Park Colorado or read about the Quote below.. I'am New at Cache Hunting but have metal detected for a while,? I find more arrow heads & flint stone when I'm out looking and my dectector becomes more of a walking stick.. Any ways, I would like to start some research on this Geneva Gulch Cache but I can't find it on my map. I have found Geneva Mnt. Any hints on finding the Gultch.

?Jim and me buried the treasure the morning before the posse attack on Geneva Gulch. You go up above there a little ways and find where one of our horses mired down in a swamp. On up at the head of the gulch we turned to the right and followed the mountain around a little farther, and just above the head of Deer Creek, we found an old prospect hole at about timberline. There, we placed $40,000 in greenbacks, wrapped in silk oil cloth, and three cans of gold dust. We filled the mouth of the hole up with stones, and ten steps below, struck a butcher knife into a tree about four feet from the ground and broke the handle off, and left it pointing toward the mouth of the hole.?

By all accounts, the money remains buried somewhere in the South Park area.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Colorado Kid - Find a map that is close to the time you know the story to be. It may or may not have the gulch listed. It may be more of a place for those who know the area. In that case, where are the swampy areas near Deer Creek (or other named creeks if Deer Creek isn't listed). Find out where you can get newspaper accounts, diaries, etc. of the area that may talk about the attack.

If it were easy, someone else would have already found it. It may take some time and research, but it sounds like it could pay off for you, too. Good luck.

Darren

OP
OP
C

Colorado Kid

Thank You all for the good Ideas .......................Colorado Kid

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread