New at metal detecting

The jury is out on if you wasted your money. While I wouldn't be seen with one in my hand, it is a great starter unit for someone starting the hobby. Not everyone knows if they will enjoy detecting in the dirt for pennies and trash and are looking for a profit. Most of us just enjoy what ever we find. If you really enjoy the hobby you can always upgrade anytime if you feel you want more features for your fun but it isn't necessary. Just try to learn how to get a coin out of the ground where you can look back on the area and not be able to tell someone was digging there. Have fun.

Thanks, eventually I would like to upgrade but I just wanted to see how well I like it and learn to detect right before I got blow $1000 on something to sit in the corner

The QuickDraw II is a nice detector with lots of useful features. If you step up to a more feature-rich Bounty Hunter, like the Land Star or Time Ranger later, you will know most of the features and will have mastered them already. If the detector starts to behave erratically, check your batteries.

Ok thanks, is it best to keep the sensitivity turned up, cause I'm gna hunt a non trashy area where no metal detector has been

I still have an old Land Star that I use from time to time. They aren't bad machines. Just learn what your detector can and can't do, how it acts on different targets, and you will be happy with it for quite a while. I have seen and used much worse machines than the bounty hunter. It will actually out perform some of the older high dollar detectors. HH

Yeah, what's the best discrimination level to use while relic hunting, its a non trashy area that's been unhunted

If its not trashy I would use the lowest setting. If you start digging a bunch of trash you can bump it up a little to eliminate some of it.

If "I'm" hunting in a non-trashy area I use all metal mode and dig every repeatable signal. You just never know what you'll miss.

Yeah that was my thoughts, if I know it ain't trashy and ain't been hunted then I should keep the sensitivity on high and dig everything

Good find, that's a big help cause shoes me don't pass nothing up cause ya just never know, how deep was it

It was about 6 inches down. They had removed the gravel years ago and put topsoil down. Its a wonder they didn't scoop it up with the gravel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back