New Beach Finds 050808

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Went out to the beach last night.? Found a fishing lure and an earing.? Everything else was the regular bottle caps, (Found first Bud for my Beer Cap Poll, see http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,18549.0.html ), a nail, some foil and pull tabs.... and $1 in current change.?

050808-UpperGilson-640.jpg

050808-UpperGilson-Earing-640.jpg

Looked at it under a Lupe and no signs of any content marks or hallmarks. Thus I don't think the metal is anything too significant

050808-UpperGilson-Lure1-640.jpg

Imagine this getting stuck in the foot of some kid running on the beach.? It wasn't very deep in the sand.? ?It hooked my fingers a few times but I was being extra careful.? Fortunately it didn't stick deep.

050808-UpperGilson-Lure2-640.jpg

Upvote 0

PDX Lefty

Greenie
Jul 29, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Good thing you got to that lure before some ones bare foot did. And hey you made a little spending change too. And left the beach a little cleaner for every one to enjoy.
Way to go!

OP
OP
W

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
There are people out there that look down on our hobby. Some look at us like a bunch of , as another thread suggests, "Village Idiots", bums looking for pocket change, scavengers capitalizing off other peoples losses etc. A bunch of vulchers, tearing up the parks and digging up the beaches. Like I have heard in the past, when someone comes up and gives you hassles about detecting in the playgrounds or on the beaches, show them the nails and pull tabs, fishing lures and other dangerous or yucky items that you find. Unfortunately though, if people knew the stuff I have found 2" under the surface of our pristine looking beaches and Tot Lots, they might not go out there. I have to say though that I have yet to find a needle or any bullets but I have seen such posts showing such things. I just read in the minutes of a parks board that one town near us has bought one of those machines to make their trashy beaches look nicer. It rakes the surface and cleans up items larger than small rocks from the surface of the sand. I don't know how deep it rakes or if it is digging up any coins, jewelry... or does most of that stuff just fall out of the screen. I have seen a similar machine down in FLA where we go. From what I have seen, it seems that a scoop directs the sand etc. up to a convayor that has holes in it. Large items are then moved into a collection bin while smaller items fall back to the surface of the beach to be raked over and evened out. Anyone know though, how much good stuff gets picked up?

MarcoIslBeachCleaner-640.jpg

I can tell you from searching a couple of the beaches, in that other town, they need it bad. I have found some real trash up there. I don't know if our town uses such a machine. Our beaches do seem pretty clean, by comparison especially. Although, I do notice that they must, at least, rake the beach here. Even with such equipment, I think there is still a lot of stuff under the surface that it probably doesn't reach.

In fact, I have started to take a 5gal bucket down to the beach when I go there. That is because I tend to find a lot of cans and bottles burried in the sand. Along with a lot of pull tabs, wire ties, bottle caps and foil.... Last night I found a single portion size packet from Similac, a piece from a single use size Bannana Boat Sun Screen, an old, soft, dissolving unchewed stick of gum... I often find packets from verious over the counter pharmacuticals... I have found tuna cans, fast food containers from dipping sauce, and other messy and gross kinds of trash. I think that stuff is usually fresh stuff as it has seemed kind of gross. Sometimes it is a foil label around the neck of a beer bottle that makes me find it. Anyways, I got tired of filling my pockets with large items of JUNK and then feeling bad about reburrying some other items because I couldn't carry them. I think it is a positive part of detecting that most of us take the trash out with us. It kills me when I find trash laying in the sand, less than 10' from a garbage can. Happens all the time though.

Anyways, I figure that I am doing a service to the community when I detect. For all the stuff that I take with me. Some, as I said, could be, mildly maybe, dangerous.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep up the good work! I have found live bullets and other dangerous things in Tot lots and in parks. I hate the trash I dig, 99% of the time I take the trash and Recycle it. I hate how people are so lazy they can't even toss the trash they make, that makes me real mad. I do however hate land fills also so sometimes spread out trash is better. Recycling is the best thing we can do so do that on the Field and at home.

Keep at it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread