New BUY today - 1884 CC Morgan Dollar

schwabie16

Dec 11, 2013
Reynoldsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be the wrong place to post this, but I know a lot of you on here are experts on coins. I bought this 1884 CC today, and wanted to know what you fellas thought the grade would be.... I'm thinking around an MS-64 - I paid $225

So.....

What would you grade it?

And......

Did I get a good deal?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425746817.968444.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425746835.186902.jpg

Upvote 0

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it hard to grade by pics, particularly MS coins. The fields look pretty clean, but the high points look like they've taken contact. I'd say it goes MS60-62.

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good and MS 64-65 is a good estimate of the grade....

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, it would grade MS64 . Great buy!

I believe it would grade MS-64 as well! It is a shame that the coin shows hazing on it as the fields may be almost mirror-like and the devices (images, lettering and date) appear to be frosted! I am pretty sure that I see Die Clashing on the Reverse and especially so from the Eagle's right wing (on the left when viewing the coin) to at or below the right side of the "n" of "In" (In God We Trust). There may be some below the right and left wings but these are harder to see. If there is Die Clashing on the Reverse, check the Obverse as well and check VAMworld www.vamworld.com to see if it matches any known VAM's for the Date and Mint.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
schwabie16

schwabie16

Dec 11, 2013
Reynoldsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it would grade MS-64 as well! It is a shame that they coins shows hazing on it as the fields may be almost mirror-like! I am pretty sure that I see Die Clashing on the Reverse and especially so from the Eagle's right wing (on the left when viewing the coin) to at or below the right side of the "n" of "In" (In God We Trust). There may be some below the right and left wings but these are harder to see. If there is Die Clashing on the Reverse, check the Obverse as well and check VAMworld www.vamworld.com to see if it matches any VAM's for the Date and Mint.

Frank

Thanks a lot!

oddrod

Oct 31, 2012
Derby KS
Detector(s) used
Brother Bobs Tesoro Deleon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you got ripped off, send it to me. Nice coin.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you are asking about grading within the rather large parameters of "Mint State" , you are going to get opinions all over the place ,
in ten responses here we see MS 60 to 64 . The question has a lot to do with what we can see from the photo's - which are decent,
The experience of the viewer in grading Morgan Dollars comes into play here as well . The line between an acceptable level of "bag marks"
as opposed to wear ,may be a fine one when making a judgement between MS 63 and MS 64. Looks like you got your money's worth
me .

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful coin!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks almost frosty? If it is frosty the surface contact will contrast more in pictures. I see a coin that is light in bag marks and has a frosty appearance. I think the coin would slab in your range maybe a little higher, but seeing the coin in person would determine that. Impossible from a picture especially when you are talking MS coins. The variances are so slight when it is this high. I think the coin is an OK deal in unslabbed condition but would be a great buy if it slabbed and brought an MS 64 grade. Then you would be in the 280.00's to low 300's

Cheers

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet buy,as huntsman said go check out vamworld,and figure out if you got a rare vam,then send it in and you will know soon enough what it grades,some have already pointed out some reverse features,i did notice a dash coming out of the first 1 on the obverse

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Judging from the pictures the heavy bag marks would reduce the grade even if the details are very good.

Regards + HH

Bill

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I call it a beauty. Anyone who gets caught up in rarity grading is a fool and not really a collector. The difference in price on Morgan dollars between MS63,64,65 & 66 is stupid. A rare coin is a rare coin. A coin that is rare because of some grade assigned by a third party grading service is not a rare coin, just a coin that can be hyped by Morgan dollar dealers. When the government released all those Morgan dollars back in the 60's and 70's there were almost a million 1884-cc's. It's not a rare coin. The big hit came to the owners of the 1885-cc's. With a mintage of only 228,000 it was considered a rare Morgan dollar. Then the mint released almost 150,000 mint state examples. Values plunged compared to other dates. It's now harder to find a circulated example then an unc. Sorry to rant, but Morgan dollars are the most overrated, hyped coins in America. They are common coins, all of them. The reason dealers promote them so much is they know there is an unlimited supply for them to sell. Everybody should have one. I have a beauty common 1881-S. If you want rare coins, try colonials.
1881 - S Morgan dollar.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread