New Cal, Dredge Moritorium

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Sent it to the guy who wrote this artical. Pound him.

California hearing on dredging rules attracts few

By Carlos Alcalá
[email protected]
Published: Wednesday, May. 11, 2011 - 12:00 am | Page 2B
There was controversy but few surprises Tuesday as the California Department of Fish and Game held its final hearing on the contentious issue of suction dredging for gold in the state's rivers and streams.

The hearing attracted advocates and critics from El Dorado, Placer and Sierra counties – three of the top five counties for dredging according to a 2008 survey.

The department – under orders from the Legislature and a court ruling – has drafted an environmental impact report and regulations to control dredging, which sucks up river bottom gravel in an attempt to collect gold.

The report will be revised on the basis of months of public input. The department hopes to issue final regulations in November.

The most unexpected thing at Tuesday's hearing on the report and proposed rules may have been the turnout.

Mark Stopher, the agency's official in charge of developing the EIR and rules, told the the audience he had received well over 8,000 emails on the topic and had expected an overflow crowd at the 200-seat auditorium in downtown Sacramento.

Instead, just 27 people spoke from an audience that was slightly more than double that size.

Environmental organizations, Indian tribes, fishing groups and other suction dredging opponents complained that Fish and Game's proposed regulations are based on bad science and too lenient to miners.

Miners and their allies argued that the rules were based on bad science and too strict.

"I didn't hear anybody say that we got it perfectly right," Stopher said dryly at the conclusion of the three-hour hearing.

The comments differed only in details from those received since the draft document was released in February, Stopher said.

For example, officials have heard a lot from miners – in five other hearings and in written comments – who attack the science behind the EIR's findings on potential hazards from mercury stirred up by dredges.

At the hearing, they heard from professional data analyst Eric Maksymyk, also a miner, who blasted the mercury studies for nearly 30 minutes, based on his reading of the numbers in those very studies.

It would take 14,800 miners in one spot to produce the mercury contamination the studies suggested, Maksymyk said.

"It's impossible," he said. "It's flawed analysis."

Mercury contamination is but one issue.

Others include risks to amphibian and fish breeding.

The court ruling that led to the EIR was the product of a Karuk tribe lawsuit seeking to protect salmon in the Klamath River.

The new rules only appear to protect fish from deleterious impacts because "you redefined deleterious," said Craig Tucker, a representative of the Karuk and other organizations.

He and some others said "no program" – that is, a ban on all dredge mining – is the only acceptable alternative.

Miners, in turn, protested their rights to mineral deposits were being taken from them without compensation.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call The Bee's Carlos Alcalá, (916) 321-1987.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a placer mine and the gold is in the river under water and a gold dredge is the only way to access that gold, and they take that away from you, that sounds like there interfering with a federal mining claim and that sounds to me like a great reason for a law suit against the person or persons behind this CRAP.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well done Hefty
Jog i agree
this is the crap we need to address
there is no mention that in the study 98% of the mercury was recovered and done without miners moss, and even if flouring does accure it still maintains a specific gravity of 13.6 ( gold is around 19.0 and diamonds 3.6 and i can find diamonds in the box if i take the time to look for them)

http://www.icmj.com/userfiles/files/SB670.txt

Some proponents of suction dredging have asserted that suction
dredgers help recover mercury from hot spots. A 2003 pilot
study conducted by the State Water Resources Control Board found
that motorized suction dredging exacerbates rather than
alleviates mercury contamination of rivers and streams. The
study found that instream suction dredge mining is an
unacceptable means of recovering mercury lost to the environment
from gold mining because the dredges release too much mercury
back into the environment. Mercury concentrations in the
sediment released by the dredges were more than ten times higher
than that needed to classify it as a hazardous waste. By
"flouring" the mercury and releasing it back into the stream,

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
past practice shows that they dont care what we want! its all about them and the greenies and what they want before they get voted out of office or worse! if these dems dont get voted out, worse is yet to come!

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i don't agree with dredging so I'm happy with this.
i use a metal detector. i dig my little hole, i recover my target, i fill my hole. i am never environmentally irresponsible.
dredgers cut a scar through the riverbed destroying plants and animals...all for a flake or two.
you take that flake and turn a profit. i take my CW bullet or coin and tell a story.
i don't think anyone has the permission to harm public land or waterways in the name of personal profit.
whether it's exxon mobile or dave the dredger.

i hope i dont offend anyone-its just my opinion.

Nolan

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wheel Bearing Packed brakes are good (check), Serviced Tranny and Diff. (check) New water pump and hoses with fresh anti-freeze (check), New tire and two spares (check)....... :tongue3:

Jim12f

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2011
jog said:
Anyone got anything on this? I just received an email from ICMJ Mining Magazine about a vote tomorrow morning, no time for emails need to call.
Does anyone know how the vote went friday
?

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Read above Jim....it passed 2-1

As for di.khead you can leave your thoughts in your pocket.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeadheadDigger said:
i don't agree with dredging so I'm happy with this.
i use a metal detector. i dig my little hole, i recover my target, i fill my hole. i am never environmentally irresponsible.
dredgers cut a scar through the riverbed destroying plants and animals...all for a flake or two.
you take that flake and turn a profit. i take my CW bullet or coin and tell a story.
i don't think anyone has the permission to harm public land or waterways in the name of personal profit.
whether it's exxon mobile or dave the dredger.

i hope i dont offend anyone-its just my opinion.

Nolan

Can you name some of the plants and animals that we are destroying? How do you scar a riverbed? I'm sure everyone here would like to hear your response.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Deadhead the elites
he will cry like baby when Metal detecting goes the way of the dodo bird
remember the spotted owl and what it did to the logging Indus. here in northern California in the late 70s
yep guys like Deadhead don't have a clue, just the like the reps in the capital here in Sacramento
eventually all open land will be off limits unless you have a degree in biology or something like it.
environmental trash will not stop, FM

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Budget Trailer Dredge Moritorium Process....

So, the Senate subcommittee passed it. Where does it go from here….

The full budget, all subcommittees, goes to Senate floor for review and vote. 2/3 to pass Senate Version of Budget… This same process is carried out at the same time in The Assembly.

...Then onto the Budget Conference Committee to work out differences between Assembly & Senate Versions of the full budget. Needs 2/3 vote from both house floors to pass…

Final Budget after passing both houses will go to governor by June 15th and he has till June 30th to sign.

This trailer for a 5yr moratorium on dredging is NOT set in stone by any means.... Still can act upon the Budget Conference Committee Members and if need be the Govenor.

Here is a link (PDF) to the Budget Conference Committee Members : http://www.caads.org/pdf/pdf/state_budget_conference_cmte_members_2011_02_22.pdf

Not good, I know, 6 Dems and 4 Rep :help: :help:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks GH

thing is, i don't think it matters which party that is on the budget committee, neither party understands dredging. and as miners we don't create enough revenue for them to be interested in us. even though they can use all the revenue possible no matter how small
miners are the only ones on the waterways that have federal rights, all other activity's are state, so the way i see it its discriminatory and prejudice towards dredgers.
due diligence, write letters educating these law makers and hope for the best

Senator Mark Leno
(D‐San Francisco)
Fax:916‐445‐4722
Ph: 916‐651‐4003
Assembly Member Bob Blumenfield
(D‐Van Nuys), Committee Chair
Fx:916‐319‐2140
Ph:916‐316‐2040
Senator Alan Lowenthal
(D‐Long Beach)
Fax:916‐327‐9113
Ph:916‐651‐4027
Assembly Member Jim Nielsen
(R‐Redding)
Fx:916‐319‐2102
Ph:916‐319‐2002
Sen. Gloria Negrete McLeod
(D‐Chino)
Fax:916‐445‐0128
Ph:916‐651‐4032
Assembly Member Diane Harkey
(R‐Dana Point)
Fx:916‐319‐2073
Ph: 916‐319‐2173
Senator Bill Emmerson
(R‐Riverside)
Fax: 916‐327‐2187
Ph: 916‐651‐4037
Assembly Member Nancy Skinner
(D‐Berkeley)
Fx:916‐319‐2114
Ph:916‐319‐2014
Senator Robert Huff
(R‐Diamond Bar)
Fax:916‐324‐0922
Ph: 916‐651‐4029
Assembly Member Felipe Fuentes
(D‐Los Angeles)
Fx:916‐319‐2139
Ph:916‐319‐2039
Senate Leadership Assembly Leadership
Senator Darrell Steinberg
(D‐Sacramento)
Fax:916‐323‐2263
Ph: 916‐651‐4006
Assembly Member John Pérez
(D‐Los Angeles)
Fx:916‐319‐2146
Ph:916‐319‐2046
Senator Bob Dutton
(R‐Inland Empire)
Fax: 916‐327‐2272
Ph:916‐651‐4031
Assembly Member Connie Conway
(R‐Tulare)
Fx:916‐319‐2134
Ph:916‐319‐2034

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fact of the matter and the situation is we all need to contact our Representatives so they can vote "NO" on full house vote for Budget.
So as this dredge moratorium language can be hashed out before it reaches Govenor "moonbeam" Brown.

It is a long shot and the enviro's and Dems go hand and hand and there are more more Dems than Rep. :help:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
here's what were up against
California State Senate Subcommittee 2 Budget meeting

In out meeting on May 13th I updated you about the California State Senate Subcommittee 2 budget meeting held on May 12th. This three person Committee approved on a 2-1 vote to stop the issuance of suction dredge permits for an additional five years, or as such time as new regulations fully mitigated all the significant environmental impacts of suction dredging - and a fee structure that would cover all the Fish and Game expenses for this program. This Committee also stopped any funding to Fish and Game for suction dredge regulation, permitting and other activities. I had previously sent you the report from the ICMJ about this meeting.

Here's the link to the Committee 2 meeting and on page 41 of this document is the vote and the approval.
http://sbud.senate.ca.gov/sites/sbud.senate.ca.gov/files/SUB2/Outcomes5122011Sub2Resources.pdf

The following is from the report and the vote shown in case you have trouble going to the site.

Staff Recommendation: Approve the following:

(1) Trailer bill language to continue the moratorium on issuance of suction dredge permits for an additional five years, or until such time as new regulations that fully mitigate all identified significant environmental impacts, and a proposedfee structure that will fully cover all program costs, are in place.

(2) Approve Budget Bill Language prohibiting any funding at the department frombeing used for suction dredge mining regulation, permitting or other activities.

VOTE:

Approve Staff Recommendation with the following modification:

(2) Approve Budget Bill Language prohibiting any funding at the department from being used for suction dredge mining regulation, permitting or other activities with the exception of enforcement and legal defense.

Vote: 2-1 (Fuller)

State Water Resources Control Board

On a seperate issue. The SWRCB has reviewed Chapter 4.2 of the SDEIR. Rick Humphreys, SWRCB, provided us the following message:

Hi Don,

As an FYI - There's a requirement under the CA health and safety code to peer review all scientific and technical material used to form CalEPA policy or serve as the basis for regulations. Since the SWRCB is under CALEPA, as a condition of providing funding to DFG to evaluate water quality impacts of suction dredging, SWRCB's funding agreement had a requirement for Peer review of the water quality chapter because it might serve as the scientific and technical basis for regulations in the future.

Dr Gerald Bowes manages the peer review program here. CalEPA has a contract with UC Berkeley to select peers for the review. Agency staff do neither participate in the peer selection, nor recommend possible reviewers. The peers are selected based on their experience and expertise by a UC Berkeley professor. There is no collaboration among the peers during a review because their identities are kept confidential. My role was to make sure that they completed their reviews on time.

If you have questions concerning these reviews, feel free to call, and as I said during our conversation during the May 10 public hearing, they will be posted on the SWRCB web site soon.

Regards, Rick Humphreys

This review has now been posted on the SWRCB web site and can be checked out at the following link. Below this link is the base information I copied from the site. There are numerous links to various reports concerning dredging. First go to the link and then second click on the various reports shown below.
This completes my update to you at this point. Thanks. Don
http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/cwa401/suction_dredge.shtml

SUCTION DREDGE MINING
Department of Fish and Game (DFG) - Proposed Suction Dredging Program
Water Board Comments
State Water Board Cover Memo
State Water Board Specific comments
North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board Comments
Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Board Comments
Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board Comments
Lahontan Regional Water Quality Control Board Comments
Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board Comments
Scientific Peer Review Process
suction_dredging_peer_review_chen
suction_dredging_peer_review_curran
suction_dredging_peer_review_evers
suction_dredging_peer_review_flegal

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If DFG does not select the No Program Alternative, we recommend restricting nozzle diameter to 2 inches.
Reason: From a water quality perspective, the smaller the volume of dredged material, the better. Manufacturer’s specifications (Keene, 2010) indicate that a suction dredge equipped with a 2 inch diameter nozzle can vacuum sediment at a rates up to 1.5 cubic yards per hour, while a dredge equipped with a 4 inch diameter nozzle can vacuum sediment over three times as fast (5 cubic yards per hour). Therefore, restricting suction dredge nozzles to 2 inches or less would result in less disruption of stream sediment compared to dredges equipped with larger diameter nozzles.
ES-7, 25 If DFG does not select the No Program Alternative, we recommend changing “Reasonable care shall be used to avoid dredging in silt and clay materials, the disturbance of which would significantly increase in turbidity” to “Dredging in silt and clay materials is prohibited.”
Reason: The United States Geological Survey (USGS) studies cited in the SEIR indicate that dredging silt and clay materials will result in both substantial increases in turbidity, and, in mercury-contaminated water bodies, discharges of mercury-contaminated sediment. We are extremely concerned about such discharges, especially since suction dredgers tend to seek out buried, in-stream clay pan layers because they are rich in gold.1,2
ES-8, 3 If DFG does not select the No Program Alternative, we recommend changing “All fueling and servicing of dredging equipment must not result in leaks, spills or otherwise release into a watercourse or where the product may enter waters of the state” to “All fueling and servicing of dredging equipment shall not result in leaks, spills or otherwise release into a watercourse or where the product may enter waters of the state. All dredge engines shall be equipped with fuel spill catching skirts; dredging engines without fuel catching skirts are prohibited.”
Reason: Refueling a dredge while it is in the water without spilling fuel is a major challenge, considering that stream currents, poor footing and the bobbing of a floating dredge would all create conditions conducive to spilling fuel. Thus,
1 New 49ers Mining Club web site <www.goldgold.com>
2 The in-stream portion of the USGS study…
-1-
requiring that the dredge engines have spill catchment is warranted. In addition, the regulations should specify requirements for proper disposal of any spilled fuel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions