New Caney Texas Online Journey

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
3-17-08

I live in a small town named New Caney about 20 miles North of Houston. I have found many things about this small town that intrigues me. Its an old town and has some decent history. I have a few areas that I will be checking out in the near future that I will record and photo and share on here. There is a missing General Store from 1885 or so and a bunch of sawmills along the creek in which I live about a mile from. I have seen some signs a few years back on kayak trips and now I will revisit and analyze them.

Today is day one of my delve into the local history of this town, I am headed out the door to hit the library to try and find anything that may help me out to find these locations to scout.

I will post photos and findings along the way.

Here is the background information for you guys:

NEW CANEY, TEXAS. New Caney, also known as Presswood, is on the Southern Pacific line at the junction of Farm Road 1485 and State Highway Loop 494, seventeen miles southeast of Conroe in southeastern Montgomery County. The community was founded in the 1860s and in its early years was known as Presswood, for pioneers Austin and Sarah Waters Presswood, who settled in the area in 1862 and raised cattle on the open range. Other early settlers included the John Wesley Robinson family, who farmed and raised cattle and who also built a gristmill, steam cotton gin, and general store on Caney Creek. In 1877 or 1878 the Houston, East and West Texas Railway reached the town. Cattle-loading pens were set up, and the community became a shipping point for livestock. The station was called Caney Station, after the dense canebrakes on Caney Creek. The town grew, and in 1882 a post office was established under the name New Caney; James B. Robinson, the first postmaster, had petitioned for the name Caney, but there was already a Texas town with that name, so the post office department called the new post office New Caney.

By 1884 New Caney had a population of sixty, four steam sawmills, and a general store; at that time the community shipped cotton, syrup, and hogs. In 1890 it reported a population of 100, served by several sawmills, a church, a school, a meat market, a general store, a cross-tie contractor, a justice of the peace, and an agent for the railroad, telegraph and express services. New Caney had begun as an agricultural town, but grew as the local lumber industry developed; among the timber products the town shipped were mining props used to support excavations. By 1892 the population level had risen to 150. The town had a telephone connection, three general stores, and a sawmill in 1914. Its economy declined in the 1920s, but later revived with the Montgomery County lumber industry. In 1932 New Caney had one school for black students and three schools for whites. In 1946 the town consisted of some forty dwellings, three schools, two sawmills, a railroad station, and about twelve other businesses.

Here is the library:

Attachments

• Library.jpg
    Library.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,528
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
3-17-08

Just returned from the Library where they had no information on record of the town history, They pointed me towards the Chamber of Commerce.

Went to the Chamber of Commerce where they looked at me like I was crazy, they had no records, maps or any information on the town of Presswood/New Caney. They gave me the number to a local guy that heads up the Montgomery County Historical society.

I have a call into him to see what he may have on the place. No return call as of 2:00pm.

We went to the local cemetery that only had a few grave sites and low and behold I find one of the founders of the town J W Robinson buried on Dec.3, 1903. Pretty cool to check out on my first few hours into the history. We also found a few older sites that I am checking geneology on to maybe locate more info.

Attachments

• DSC00545.JPG
    DSC00545.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 930
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
I actually went there yesterday for about an hour and 1/2. I had some time and was close to it. I found nothing on Presswood but did find quite a bit of information on New Caney. I only had a dollar cash so I got to make only 10 copies (cash only) of things I wanted. I found an old picture that seemed to be from the early 1900's of the main town and some misc. pictures of the surroundings. I am hoping to try and hit up a sawmill site soon that I do not think has been looked around yet.

The Montgomery County Historical Society is going to take me to the Presswood Cemetery sometime this week. He says its back in the woods and you have to know where it is to locate it.

How long you there for tmanfromtexas

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Met with the local Historian today and visited the Presswood cemetery back off the path (someone replaced the original headstones 20 +years ago) I also went and found an unmarked at a place that they had no idea of (I found it 15 years or so ago ) It was covered with leaves and I swept off all the debris and took a picture. The historical society is now going to see if they can find any info on the place.

I also learned that the original Presswood settlement has never been located. He let me know where it has been rumored to have started and I also backed it up with some data I found at the library.

I will start my search for the original Presswood next week starting by Kayaking the creek that it was rumored to be on.

The hunt is on!

Attachments

• Austin Presswood.jpg
    Austin Presswood.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 786
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
The grave of an Unknown I located:

Attachments

• Unknown grave.jpg
    Unknown grave.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 945

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
Hey Shaw.
Glad to see some research into the area. I've done some looking on the net, and have found the same information that you have. It's good to know that the historical society is helpful. They are one of my next stops. I'm really into the old coin aspect of this hobby. Although, if I find some nice relics that could change. :) I've only located one "sawmill area", but haven't hunted it. I may talk with some land owners this weekend.

Good hunting to ya, :thumbsup:
Ima

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
HI,

Thanks for posting all this. It's great reading!

Good luck and keep us updated!

Cavers5

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Thanks,

I have my new GPS (other one bit it in the creek) and I have marked all points of interest and seen where the basic layout of the town could have possibly been. I also have made some points on Goggle earth and triangulated the basic area.

I found some pylons along a local creek that appear to be very old and crossed the creek at one time. I think it will be my next stop with my new MD.

Attachments

• Caney.jpg
    Caney.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 996
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
4-2-08

I had a couple hours to kill earlier and headed down the local creek in my Kayak. I really started looking up along the back and up on a ridge I spotted this. I am not sure how old it is but it was in the middle of non developed property and is is out away from any houses. It was approx. 100' from the creek up on a ridge. I didnt have a MD with me and my little dude (4 year old son) was with me. I cant wait to go snoop around when I get another chance to head back there.

Attachments

• CornerPost1.jpg
    CornerPost1.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 856

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
Shaw, have you been able to contact the property owner? They may have some good info, and let you hunt it.

Ima

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
:thumbsup:
Sweet deal Shaw. I have been living in the Atascocita/ Humble area for a couple years now and driving down some rural road, I have seen old properties. Right now I am trying to figure out who owns some land along Woodlands Hills Dr. between FM1960 and Atascocita Rd. The property is on the east side. Local rigger told me there used to be an old homestad there. If you have any ideas, IM me. Good luck on you ventures.

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
I wish I could quit work and research all the time!

I am headed down to check out another area hopefully here this afternoon or in the morning of what appears to be a very old shack along the creek (located with google) I am going to hop on the four wheeler and check it out.

I will take pics if there is anything worthy.

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Just a quick update,

I found that all of the Hispanics that died in the earlier are buried in there own cemetery across a major traveled road, It seems that the families that worked in the sawmills all worked together and were all buried together. I have also talked with a local historian that has clued me in to a few areas that may have had a bar and an"entertainment house" along the tracks just outside of the town here. I found some barbwire that dates back to the late 1800's. I am trying to pinpont the corners of the property and start the search inside.

The growth and heat of the thick brush this time of year is awful so its slow going.

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Went back to the site near my casa today, The brush is so over grown and the mosquitoes are so thick you almost breath them in. Its about 95 degrees with 110% humidity! I also watched 2 water moccasins enter the same creek I was in while getting to the site.

I did manage to locate another center support that was buried with the same barbed wire attached to the post. Unfortunately I am going to have to really get in there when it cools down or hit it early in the morning tomorrow.

Attachments

• snake1i.jpg
    snake1i.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,677
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Just cruised back onto the site and it is even more overgrown than a few weeks when I was there (damn rain!)

I left there and hit up another old graveyard near my house and found my oldest tombstone yet. (Picture) There is A giant tree adjacent from the cemetery that I will be checking out today or tomorrow.

Anyway I received a lead on some sort of structure that existed near the local RR tracks so I mat try and hit it up this evening or tomorrow as well.

I cannot wait for November December to get here!

Thats the update (7-7-08)

Jason

Attachments

• HPIM8631.JPG
    HPIM8631.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 507
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
8-3-08:

I took my Aunt back to the site of the pylons I have found on the creek. Very hot and no air in the woods. We searched the old large tree in the area and dug a few brass casings and one lead spent round (between a .22 and a .30 cal.) I am looking in to the caliber.

I located a few interesting areas on Google earth again this evening worth checking. I think we have possibly found the area of the original "General Store" (founded in 1904-1908 so the locals have told me in the past).

It is going to be a winter project of mine and I will keep posting on my finds. Until then if you are a East Tx. hunter.

Keep "Off"
Keep Water
Keep a sweat towel
Keep hoping
and Keep Digging.

JB

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
My pops also got me an old 1936 layout (First pic)

Attachments

• NC.jpg
    NC.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 606

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Hey Shaw, have you been back out to these places yet? Found anything?
Baggins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions