scottcol

Greenie
Oct 5, 2012
Louisiana N.O.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a decision to make. I am going to buy a new detector and my local dealer has a new coinmaster gt for $399 , and new "open box" fisher f70 for $400 and he has a used dfx for $575.

I live in new orleans and will be hunting coins and relics. should I get the dfx because the coinmaster gt wont do relics? or the fisher that nobody I know has. I really like tone ID.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used the f70 or coin master but I do have and have used my dfx for 5 years. I like whites and their service and the dfx is a great machine with a lot of options if you will take the time to learn them.

OP
OP
scottcol

scottcol

Greenie
Oct 5, 2012
Louisiana N.O.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why won't the GT find relics?

I mean it will find relics. it is a metal detector. I live down the street from a whites dealer. he is the one that has the coinmaster gt for sale. he is a mega hard core relic hunter. he basically said the coinmaster was not all that deep with iron and even with the coins it wont go much deeper than 5". I got to use the CM-GT for about 30 min and we put down some clad coins a 2oz silver coin and a silver quarter. it did very well at displaying the correct numbers and then telling me what kind of coin it is and how far down it is. the tone id was nice too. the unit is identical to the prizm 6t only red. it heavy.,

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
I mean it will find relics. it is a metal detector. I live down the street from a whites dealer. he is the one that has the coinmaster gt for sale. he is a mega hard core relic hunter. he basically said the coinmaster was not all that deep with iron and even with the coins it wont go much deeper than 5". I got to use the CM-GT for about 30 min and we put down some clad coins a 2oz silver coin and a silver quarter. it did very well at displaying the correct numbers and then telling me what kind of coin it is and how far down it is. the tone id was nice too. the unit is identical to the prizm 6t only red. it heavy.,
:thumb_up: OK, thanks for the explanation.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be lost without my threshold on a detector. You're gonna find deeper targets with the DFX than the GT I'm sure plus you have quite an array of coils to choose from if you had the DFX. Now if there was a choice between the DFX or the MXT personally I would opt for the MXT especially for the relics and gold because they are killer on the gold.

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the DFX, its a better machine all the way around and soon White's will be discontinuing the DFX since the VX3 is its replacment and they both sell for the same price new and the VX3 will do more.

DaveandBlitz

Greenie
Oct 12, 2012
E Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, V3, Tesoro Lobo supertrack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get the DFX, hands down. Tone ID and the versatility of being programmable is a hard combination to beat. I use mine for coinshooting and relic hunting and can't say enough about what a pleasure it is to have that level of discrimination or depth. You will love tone ID with the right program for coinshooting...There is no mistaking that sound. I have a program just for square nails and you can tell if the nail is an old square type or a newer round type AND if the square nail is bent or not!! Some might not believe that but I can assure you with practice at reading and hearing all the machine is telling you, it can be done! The DFX is THAT good. Only thing better but takes alot of getting used to is the V3.

Jim in PA

Greenie
Oct 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, DFX, M6; coils - 10DD, super 12, 10X12SEF, 6X10DD, 4X6DD, 950, 6DD...SpectraSound wireless headphones...Garrett Pro Pointer...Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DFX is a beast of a machine. I got a pre-owned one last winter and everything worked fine. Changed the screen (very easy to do) & the foam arm pads, and the machine was like new. If needed you can always send it in to Whites for a tune up and they are extremely reasonable with their prices and their customer service is awesome. If you are getting it from a dealer they should stand behind it too. It will outperform both of those other machines by a lot of margin.

OP
OP
scottcol

scottcol

Greenie
Oct 5, 2012
Louisiana N.O.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks everyone for the input. I ended up buying a used DFX that was made in 2010. came with the eclipse 950 and a eclipse 6x10 DD coils, 2 NiCAD packs and a AA pack. "digging deeper" book and a whites pinpointer plus headphones.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Congratulations on your purchase. I'm very pleased with my dfx which I bought used a few months ago.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my Dfx its id signagraph is awsome and works well with coins pretty good with jewelry too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions