New comer

Bhodge

Mar 1, 2005
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pal whose son, Brady 8, has always "helped" me detect by stomping the holes down. This Christmas I bought him a kids detector. Yesterday we came to stay a few days with them. Him and I started detecting. His machine finds everything with the same tone so he'd find something and I'd check it. After a few interesting finds, he comments he wants a coin like I always find. So, one moment when he wanders off I find a decent penny tone. Prob a wheat cause it's an old farm. So I lead him to the spot but he locates the signal. I dig the plug for him cause he's too small to dig. Not enough weight. Lol. I give him the pointer and he finds a 1951 Washington quarter and a wheat in the same hole. His first coins ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497727337.142335.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497727351.643027.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497727367.175807.jpg. He was very happy! Anyway, he went on about his business and I started looking for myself and two feet later from his hole I found this 1867 shield nickel, a first for me. The rest of the hunt yielded an 1867 Indian, 1860 & 1861 Fatty Indian, 1935 merc, 3 wheats, and a marble.

Upvote 21
KUDOS to you, for taking that child detecting! You could very well have changed his course of life. I never had that luxury when I was young, I got what I NEEDED and that was that. Probably why I'm so independent (only child) and prefer to hunt alone. But anyway Bhodge, that's one of the nicest shield nickels I've seen, awesome detail and almost no corrosion. Congrats on a great day for all...Ddf

Great hunt! Congrats on the super nice finds, and for giving the boy such a good introduction to detecting!

There's not too many things better than spending some time with a child training them with something positive and educational. Well done. Brady got some silver and you got one of the sweetest Shield Nickels I have ever seen recovered. Still looking for my first one. Two fatty Indians is great too. Wonderful day with great finds but, nothing more important than the investment you placed into little Brady's life. ~S~

Well done with spending time with the future treasure hunter. Who knows? He may grow up to be President. I'm sure that he will remember your kindness and,,
"Make America Dig Again "
Congratulations

PS,, Where's the picture of the Marble?

I love that the paper towel and the marble have the same colors. Seriously though, congratulations.

Excellent job of making it a great day for the boy. Great finds for both of you too! Thank you for sharing this with us.

Congrats on some great coins and making that youngsters day. That Shield Nickel is in great shape.

I bet your " helper" was thrilled with his finds. And it appears that your good deed was almost immediately rewarded with that shield nickel. I'm blown away by its condition. I have only ever found two of those, and they were both super crusty, and barely identifiable. Congrats!

Congrats to you both on your finds I'm sure you made his day. " A man is never as tall as when he bends down to help a child ".

Congratualtions on the old coin shooting! :occasion14:

Great finds and a great story. He'll probably be hooked for life. I bet he's one happy kid right now.

I took a 7 year old hunting a couple of years ago. I planted a ring which she found but then she found an 1895 V Nickel all on her own in a spot I had pounded many times and completely missed. The joy in her eyes that day was priceless. I'll never forget it.
She's 9 now and we're supposed to go hunting again soon.

I think God watches out for the young treasure hunters and always leaves a few surprises just for them. There's nothing better than seeing a kid dig their first real treasure.

You know, a while later he found a silver plated spoon all by himself. I was proud for him.

AWESOME story.
You just gave him a memory he will never forget.
Welcome to T-Net "New Comer".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back