New detector

ohiodigman

Aug 16, 2013
I search and search and can't find anything worthy of posting. I have dug tons of dirt and have only found some Wheaties and one don't worry club medallion! I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome. Of course I am using a bounty hunter as a novice and suppose I need to step it up a notch eh? Obsessed here in central ohio. Love to find anything, but need advice brothers and sisters.

Upvote 3

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it can get frustrating and most buy a detector and use it a few times and give up. Sounds like you are not giving up.

There are much better machines, that's for sure but a wise, successful Treasure Hunter once said it best "If you want to find remarkable items, do your research and find a place where no other metal detector has ever been".

As soon as you can, upgrade your detector and maybe even recheck the spots you have already been, especially if your finding wheat pennies.

Hang in there and best of luck ;-)

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up on your BH yet.
I just found my first ring with my BH 2200. I was thinking the same thing but the advice I got here at TN and putting in the time at the right location paid off.
Up your chances by swinging in the right place. Like I was told no machine will find what's not there.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably not the machine, so much as it is the location. some good tips I like to give to others are things like : try different sweep speeds, even a change of speed can bring out targets in an area you thought was hunted out. Also, try different angles of approach. coins and things don't always lay flat in the ground and you might miss a target completely going one way because of the angle at which the radio signal returns to the coil, but yet walking a different direction might allow the signal to reflect and be received by the unit. Also try different weather conditions. A good soaking rain will saturate the ground with moisture which helps the signal reach deeper targets than very dry soil. We all get discouraged from time to time, just don't give up.

Shawks18

Apr 5, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I search and search and can't find anything worthy of posting. I have dug tons of dirt and have only found some Wheaties and one don't worry club medallion! I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome. Of course I am using a bounty hunter as a novice and suppose I need to step it up a notch eh? Obsessed here in central ohio. Love to find anything, but need advice brothers and sisters.

Keep at it! I started with a bounty hunter as well, worked grate for me and found a lot of cool things. I have an ACE now and love it. Probably upgrade to the PRO someday. With all the work you are putting in you are bound to find some great things!
HH!

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
boonville ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have and still use my bh just gotta put in time with it and research im just getting used to my fisher i love it tho popped a IH today

OP
OP
O

ohiodigman

Aug 16, 2013
You guys are awesome, thanks for all the advice and oh, I don't give up easily!

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are awesome, thanks for all the advice and oh, I don't give up easily!

ohiodigman, that sir is your biggest asset. your persistence will be the key to finding the goods. do like the others have said. research aerials and old maps. pm me if you need help with that part. you can find a wealth of things just in your locale. but, you have to do the work and keep at it. start trying to read the locations you visit. look for odd ground formations or things that just don't seem natural. try to guess what you are digging before you can see it. do this over and over and you will get the goods.

best of luck from a fellow Ohioan!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is you get what you pay for, If it's not under your coil I don't care how much money you spend.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started w the bounty hunter, then 2 months later stepped up to an ace350 which I loved, I pounded sites w that thing for about a year and stepped up to the ATPRO, the detecting bug bit me hard, but like the others are saying, its not All about the detector, its more about the spots being hunted. as for upgrades of course im partial to garrett, but I hear tecknetics t2, and fisher f2 are reasonably priced. Gl and hh!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds about right...>When i first started, I was happy if i found a freakin quarter within a couple hours.

Its all about research, i didnt find shiii until someone told me a place where they tore houses down...that day i found my first silver, and have been finding it since. The More you do it..the more you will figure out whats a good spot and whats not.

LIke now if i go to an Abandond house. I know the first spots to hunt right when i get there, because its where i find it at other houses.

good Luck!

Heres another link to help you in your quest.

https://www.historicaerials.com/

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, there's one thing that's stuck with me ever since an old guy taught me how, long ago. He said everyone was trying to buy the best equipment. But, if there's nothing there to find, it doesn't add up to a hill of beans. Everybody spends the time to investigate and get the very best equipment they can buy but won't spend a moment to do a little research on finding a spot that has potential.

They go to parks, schools, churches, beaches that they know have been hunted to death and expect that they will find more simply because they have better equipment than the others had or that they're better at hunting.

The key to "good" finds is finding spots that have a good potential.

Do your research and don't lose faith. :)

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Hang in there, can be frustrating at the beginning but with patience and being diligent your pay offs will come. And most of all research, research, research. I spend an average of 18 hours a week, 14 of them is actual dig time the rest is research. And post whatever you find, who knows you might have something that could be a real winner. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread