New England GPAA

ctjonb

Feb 22, 2012
Conn.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all, I was considering joining the gpaa, I live in new england so I am inntested in this area I unfourtunatly dont have the time to travel out west. I was wondering are there any claims available in VT or NH ? and if so has anyone been to these and if so what types of amenities do they have. like prospecting only is there a camping area like there claims out west, I looked at there site but it's pretty limited toinfo for non members.
thanks for any info John

Last edited:
Upvote 0

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
No claims per se in New England. However, in NH and Maine, there are numbers of public areas along gold bearing streams. For instance, there are great locations along Route 118 in Warren, NH on the Baker River, Route 112 in the Bath and Woodsville, NH area on the Wild Ammonoosuc River, Tunnel Brook off Route 112 in Benton and Easton, NH, the East Branch, Main Branch, and Stockbridge Branches of the Swift River in Byron, Maine. In fact, most streams with good gradient and cobbles and bedrock will contain gold in northern New England. Many of these areas have good public access on public land. There is a private and excellent campground at the center of the Swift River area in Byron, Maine and about 8 miles away is State-owned Mt. Blue State Park with excellent camping facilities. The NH gold areas all have similar campgrounds nearby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ctjonb

Feb 22, 2012
Conn.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif],[/FONT] I almost bought a membership thinking they had claims in new England[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], [/FONT] there page makes you think they have [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]places[/FONT] in VT and [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NH[/FONT], oh well But I am planning on going to NH for labor day weekend [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'[/FONT]m tr[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ying[/FONT] get a site at twin rivers [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'[/FONT]ve heard couple of people talk about it and I know the laws are easier [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]in NH [/FONT]than VT with more public access[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. [/FONT] I wan[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]t to[/FONT] hit swift river some time soon I saw the episode on gold fever they found some good stuff there.
Thank you again placertogo for the info I appreciate it
John

Last edited:

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep in mind that you don't need to join the GPAA to go to its meetings. About 1/2 of the attendees of our local GPAA meetings have no interest in becoming a member (there are plenty of places in Colorado to go for gold that are open to the public). The benefit of going to the meetings are the people that show up - some have a lot of experience, and share their knowledge. I have been prospecting since the mid 1990's (Metal detecting since the mid 1980's) and I keep learning. I also give seminars on general metal detecting and gold metal detecting (I don't charge anything for it - I don't sell detectors, my motivation is helping people succeed - The people I have helped are those that met me at the meetings). You might find that some people there can help you choose equipment that works better in your part of the country - that alone could make your efforts more successful.

Our GPAA club has outings during the year, and most are to places that are not on GPAA claims - which means we go to places where anyone could go. You might be interested in knowing about these areas.

You really have little to lose. You don't have to join the GPAA.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread