New England Wreck ??

ding dang

Greenie
Nov 27, 2009
Hello All,
I am new to treasure net and need some info on shipwrecks in general. I have located a wreck in New England close to shore using google earth. (see attached file.) I would like to know if some of you could give me your opinion on the wreck. I would like to know your opinions about the type of ship, sail, steam, condition, is it all there etc. and also possible age. I have located an arial photo from 1963 that shows the wreck as being there at that time as well.It does not look like it has changed much since then. Another question I have is could a ship that sunk in the mid to late 1700's be in the condition as this one in the satellite imagery. I do not believe this wreck has been seen before. I am not a diver so sorry if some of the questions I have asked are obvious. I know some of the questions I asked would probably require a dive, but any information would be of help to me.
Thanks

Attachments

• ship04.jpg
    ship04.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 403
  • ship1.jpg
    ship1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 407

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is that a pay version of Google Earth you are using or just a new release of the free version? Pretty cool that you can change the image time line.

OP
OP
D

ding dang

Greenie
Nov 27, 2009
mad4wrecks said:
Is that a pay version of Google Earth you are using or just a new release of the free version? Pretty cool that you can change the image time line.

That is a free version. I downloaded it from the google earth website.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesnt show up on latest Google Earth map of July 29, 2007, but may just resolution of latest map.

Steve

garryk

Greenie
Mar 20, 2005
Here are some other views of wreck hull. You can walk to it from shore.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 407
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 401
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 394

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great aerials GarryK, have you had a chance to survey?

OP
OP
D

ding dang

Greenie
Nov 27, 2009
Thanks for the great pictures Gary! Any guess as to the age of this wreck? I will have to go check it out with my metal detector.

Matt

OP
OP
D

ding dang

Greenie
Nov 27, 2009
I think I've got it. It is the remains of an old lightship. The double ended hull is what threw me. allen-idaho's post really got me thinking. I am guessing it's from the early 1900's.

Attachments

• carp2.jpg
    carp2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 300

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions