New F5 and F70

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
::) , i hear ya , I noticed on kellyco site quote " The New Improved Fisher F-75 " I think fisher probally addressed the problems of the older F-75 , wheather if it is through a software upgrade , or a newer design and incorporated it into the F-70 as well . I cannot imagine a F-70 will out preform a more expensive , newer model from Fisher , But may out preform previous versions of the F-75 , But then again I may be wrong from the Photos ,it seems the F70 may offer more button options ,then the F75. it very well may be a Beta version for the F-80 8)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "New Improved" refers to better weatherproofing, a beefier handgrip and a change to the battery compartment for more solid contact. I sent mine in and the did it for $50 (and tuned the unit including a new coil because the found a "repair needed" with the original one.

In looking at the stats I don't see the F-70 as passing the F-75 on any feature except one. It has the ability to switch between two programs with a single button press. The F-75 can return to last menu item by pushing the twist knob. so it is one click vs. one click & a twist.

Otherwise I note this:

3 display increments in the non-pinpoint depth scale vs. 6 on F-75

6 menu groups vs. 10 (partially made up with the "extra" buttons)

The buttons on the F-70 are:

Frequency button vs. program mode on F-75 (hold down the "Menu" button & push trigger forward to increment up or pull to increment down through the seven frequencies).

Pinpoint button vs. trigger

+/- buttons (2) vs twist dial

One of the red buttons may be ground balance - which is done by pushing the trigger forward & bounding the coil on the f-75.

I don't see any mention of being able to change the audio tones/responses (the F-75 has eight) or a static mode. I also don't see a "confidence" scale to help determine depth and rule out most trash.

The F-75 has notches as narrow as 1 VDI unit and they are sorted into 14 possible ranges along the scale (you can't notch out anything past 65 out of 99, but who would want to skip dimes & quarters?) I don't find how the F-70 does it. There is no manual to download on the Fisher site yet.

Frankly, it looks like a simplified F-75 that may or may not run on the same algorithms for depth and sensitivity. The product literature on the F-70 claims "12 inches on coins" while the F-75 claims "U.S. coins to a depth of 15-16". But that's marketing literature and very debatable. I hit the two quarters (flat & on edge) at 12" in my test garden but have yet to dig a wild quarter beyond 8". That's also pitting a 10" concentric vs. the 11" DD of the F-75. I happen to like DoubleD coils as I have a lot of trash at the parks I hunt and the long narrow field helps seperate targets. Tipping a concentric coil 90º doesn't help you judge a target near as much. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions