CZ3d "enhanced" mode question

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
CZ3d "enhanced" mode question

Hello all. I don't own a CZ - yet. I have read alot on the CZ3d and I have one nagging question. I hope it's not a totally stupid question - here goes . . .

Enhanced mode shifts lower conductivity target signals to the high tone, signaling you to dig more, helping you find more good targets overall (while digging some high tone trash).

Would it be the same as just digging everything above iron on any detector? Let's say there is an indian head penny and a tab that are both around the same conductivity(reading mid tone) - will the CZ3d shift both signals up into coin - or just the indian head? If it does that - that would be simply awesome.

Is there something about the discrimination that makes it easier to differentiate between tabs and other good mid range targets?

Does anyone know ?

Thanks,

Ian

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Re: CZ3d "enhanced" mode question

Okay, I found out the answer to this question. Basically, as I understand it - the CZ3d in enhanced mode will shift old buried coins particularly old nickles and indian head pennies as well as some gold into the high tone leaving many of the problematic pull tabs in mid tone. The theory being, that if you dig all high tones, you should not miss the old nickles and indian heads that we sometimes skip over because they are disguised as pull tabs and trash. I'm about to get my CZ3d - so I'll let you know how that works out in real life,

Ian

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think this works out in the real world. Naturally by digging all targets above a certain cut off point you will find more good targets, but was it really the detector's shifting items to a high tone that did it?

This is what many just want to hear so they believe the hype. I think if it really was a improvement the rest of the manufactures would have this feature so they weren't left behind don't you think.

I'll continue to retreive targets above foil so as to not miss the deep old coins.

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used

Sandman - I hear ya, that's my initial thought as well - what's the sense in enhanced mode given that (I too) dig most targets above high foil area. I don't know if this is a just a mental thing or not. However, I think that switching over to normal mode will give me regular results - so worst case I decide I hate enhanced mode and just hunt like a regular old detector. I'll post some thoughts when I get the detector and try it out,

ian

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SaginawIan said:
Okay, I found out the answer to this question. Basically, as I understand it - the CZ3d in enhanced mode will shift old buried coins particularly old nickles and indian head pennies as well as some gold into the high tone leaving many of the problematic pull tabs in mid tone. The theory being, that if you dig all high tones, you should not miss the old nickles and indian heads that we sometimes skip over because they are disguised as pull tabs and trash. I'm about to get my CZ3d - so I'll let you know how that works out in real life,

Ian
Ian you are correct...I still dig a lot of junk with my CZ3...But I am getting better and better and distinguishing the good from bad....Yesterday i dug half of a Missouri militia buckle at approximately ten inches deep...It gave off a solid signal...I quit digging once and filled in the hole...then got a solid repeatable signal again and reopened the hole...I was surprised when it popped out...

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I suggest you air test a round pull tab and a corroded nickle with a CZ3D.
You'll be surprised to know that the nickle will read high tone and the pull tab mid-zone. So, there is some validity to the concept.

It's hard for some folks to believe that this is possible. The trick is to use a corroded coin, not a shiny new nickle. The enhanced mode is made to find old coins in a soil matrix that have some amount of corrosion on them. The CZ3D also has a fourth tone that is just above iron tone, and below mid-tone to help distinguish small gold items.

I'm not saying that you won't dig some trash, there is no detector on the market that can do this. The CZ3D in enhanced mode is made for old sites that don't have a bunch of modern trash. If in fact you find yourself in a trashy site, you can switch to salt mode and the CZ3D becomes a CZ5.

If you haven't used a CZ3D then you can't know that the machine does do just what they say. You have to understand the concept of soil matrix and the effects of corrosion on coins to understand the enhanced mode.

Sand, Don't know why other companies wouldn't incorporate this into their arsenal.

But for old buried coins the CZ3D will beat any of them in enhanced mode. Much deeper than my more expensive DFX, too, hands down.

Ken

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ian,

I was using the CZ-5 when the 3D was announced and questioned Tom D on it quite a bit. According to him the 3D does distinguish between some trash items and coins that will read low due to time in the ground ect. What I wanted to know and he was honest in replying is, will the 3D find stuff that CZ's users who are willing to dig the bouncing signals that may indicate an older nickel or IH penny miss? His reply was no, if you are already digging those signals with the CZ-5 then the 3D probably won't help much. My take is that the 3D was developed for those that want a machine to tell them what to dig given the right site and conditions rather than making the choice themselves based on site conditions. As far as depth and recovery speed from target to target goes, the 3D is no different than other CZ's despite what some may say. I'm not trying to knock the 3D. I think its a great idea for some because it simplifies a bit of the guess work. But again, for those that know their CZ's and are willing to dig the bouncers to get the older nickels and IH's it doesn't add anything.

Tom

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The CZ3D will distinguish older coins at depth better than the other CZ's, plain and simple.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kas said:
I suggest you air test a round pull tab and a corroded nickle with a CZ3D.
You'll be surprised to know that the nickle will read high tone and the pull tab mid-zone. So, there is some validity to the concept.

It's hard for some folks to believe that this is possible. The trick is to use a corroded coin, not a shiny new nickle. The enhanced mode is made to find old coins in a soil matrix that have some amount of corrosion on them. The CZ3D also has a fourth tone that is just above iron tone, and below mid-tone to help distinguish small gold items.

I'm not saying that you won't dig some trash, there is no detector on the market that can do this. The CZ3D in enhanced mode is made for old sites that don't have a bunch of modern trash. If in fact you find yourself in a trashy site, you can switch to salt mode and the CZ3D becomes a CZ5.

If you haven't used a CZ3D then you can't know that the machine does do just what they say. You have to understand the concept of soil matrix and the effects of corrosion on coins to understand the enhanced mode.

Sand, Don't know why other companies wouldn't incorporate this into their arsenal.

But for old buried coins the CZ3D will beat any of them in enhanced mode. Much deeper than my more expensive DFX, too, hands down.

Ken

Interesting. The F-75 has two versions of four tone: 4 & 4H. The 4H gives nickels a high tone (and I use it for that reason. It also helps winnow out pulltabs. Guess they incorporated that trick from the CZ3D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions