New Field Gives up 8

jrmazzeo

Mar 16, 2012
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today's ball field hunt yielded my best silver day ever, 2 Washington Quarters (1936 and 1940), 1945 War Nickel, 3 Mercs (1920, 1920 and 1935) and 2 Rosies (1946 and 1952). And about $8 in clad with 25 wheaties. Lots of digging over 6 hours. This place is very strange in terms of depths of the coins. I dug several lincoln memorial pennies that were 7-8 inches, while the 1940 Quarter was only about 2 inches. The readings on the Safari also vary from 36 to 39 on the silver dimes. Up to 78 for the year, will give it another go tomorrow AM.

Attachments

• 6-16-12 finds_78.JPG
    6-16-12 finds_78.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 4

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great field you have there...congrats

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
jrmazzeo said:
Today's ball field hunt yielded my best silver day ever, 2 Washington Quarters (1936 and 1940), 1945 War Nickel, 3 Mercs (1920, 1920 and 1935) and 2 Rosies (1946 and 1952). And about $8 in clad with 25 wheaties. Lots of digging over 6 hours. This place is very strange in terms of depths of the coins. I dug several lincoln memorial pennies that were 7-8 inches, while the 1940 Quarter was only about 2 inches. The readings on the Safari also vary from 36 to 39 on the silver dimes. Up to 78 for the year, will give it another go tomorrow AM.

Funny how that is. Good silvers

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wow -that is a great field if your finding silver! congrats man. you did great!

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful silver! I presume the ball field was done before. Any special tricks or just skill. What size coil did you use?

OP
OP
J

jrmazzeo

Mar 16, 2012
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am using the standard Double D coil. Nothing really special for technique, just hit areas of the field that I had not thoroughly hit before. At about 4 hours into the hunt I had only found 3 silver, then found 5 in the last two hours, with 3 in the last half hour. Sometimes it amazes me how the silver comes in bunches!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it amazes me how the silver comes in bunches!

I believe that it's really the person who tunes in, not the detector. One thing that usually happens when something good is found is that we invariably sloooowwwww down. Also, the particular sound becomes familiar of the target, making it easier to hear the next one. One more thing, we usually start digging the iffier targets.

But, that's just me.

Great finds!

HH!

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When searching a ballfield that's still in use do you recommend searching within the diamond? Or more outfield? That'd be an amazing day for me, still looking for my first silver! Also, how do you like that Safari? The etrac's little brother doesn't get much press that I've noticed.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that is fantastic to pull that many silvers in one day. congrats! :headbang:

OP
OP
J

jrmazzeo

Mar 16, 2012
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunting Ball Fields

When searching a ballfield that's still in use do you recommend searching within the diamond? Or more outfield? That'd be an amazing day for me, still looking for my first silver! Also, how do you like that Safari? The etrac's little brother doesn't get much press that I've noticed.

I usually have the most luck at ball fields in the outfield areas. But I have found silver near the pitching mound. I absolutely love the Safari. Turn it on and go. I am sure the ETrac is really nice but I am not convinced it is more sensitive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions