What's new

New field, quick hunt, nice result

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Got to check out a field I just got permission to hunt. First place I stopped, there was flint chips galore, found 3 thumb scrapers, one point on the crude side, then this. A very nice metate. It's about 10" by 8" and shows some real nice use wear. I can't wait till it warms up and the field gets worked.
DSCN2029.webp

DSCN2028.webp
 
Upvote 0
Not being a wet blanket at all- but you should explain why that's a metate so folks won't think that any flat stone might be one... !?! ;) Thanks (you know...)
 
:icon_thumright: Nice Metate. seems that they are harder to find around here than the mano's.
 
Not being a wet blanket at all- but you should explain why that's a metate so folks won't think that any flat stone might be one... !?! ;) Thanks (you know...)

Metate is what was used to grind grain on. How I know is because the material is very grainy, except where it has been used. There, it is becoming concave, or dished out and smooth.
 
Last edited:
That is a nice size. Awesome find!
 
Cool finds. Most of the Metates here are broken. The others that are whole look just like flat rocks on the comp screen. In hand its a different story, rock
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom