New Garrett GTI 2500 pro

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Just received My GTI 2500 from Kellyco. Good service and fast shipping. I read many posts trying to decide between a whites and Garrett. Both seemed like good choices, but I like a touchpad only. Whites had some controls that would be hard for a lefty to use, thus the new Garrett.
My previous MD is a discovery 3300 which I do like but the grass is always greener syndrome hit Me. Haven't had much time to use the 2500, only detected on My own property which I believe i've hunted most coins out of. Mostly found Relics (Iron stuff) but learning a new machine is interesting. I've tried both the standard pro 9" and 12" imaging coils and no coins yet but old toy gun ( less than 2"- 3300 missed that one) dog chain and other very rusty iron.
After I get more comfortable with this MD had many objects of good size show at 12+ I'll have to try and dig. Imaging works well , a piece of bent wire did indicate a coin size object but other pieces of metal were very close on the sizing.
This MD does get fooled by very rusty corroded metal objects, but maybe I just need to learn it better. I only felt competant with the 3300 after many months of alot of MDing so time will certainly be My friend.
Next few weeks appear busy but have some good places to go when I have the time- -will hopefully have some good finds to post.
Thanks for reading-- HH

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
congrats on the new machine blackjack! i have a 2500 as well. just a couple of things i have noticed about the 2500, the imaging feature is really only accurate to about 6 inches. after that, use it with a grain of salt ;). also i just picked up the 4.5 inch coil. if you hunt in trashy areas do yourself a favor and get one. it works great! good luck with the new machine!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will like the 2500. Like HollowPointed said, the use of a smaller coil will increase your recoveries from trashy areas. The imaging feature on the Garrett helps a lot as you know the target is to big to be a coin. This saves lots of bending and minutes that could better be spent sweeping.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
Blackjack77

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Thanks to all for the replies and good advice. Its raining today but maybe later I'll get out and play some more. The smaller coil is a good idea.Lots of trash at this old Farmstead, nails and such. Also noticed some overloading issues with big targets close to the surface using the bigger 12.5" coil. Think thats normal- so far really like My new 2500.
HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your factory sensitivity is set at about 10. I back mine off to about seven and seem to have better luck without that overload annoyance. Also, about 99% ot the time that overload signal is an aluminum can. Monty

OP
OP
Blackjack77

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Overloading seems to be a minor problem.I'll try backing off sensitivity and give that a try. Planning on going to a fairground tomorrow I have permission to hunt. 3 Detectors, a pinpointer and Me ( family if they want to go). Person in charge was surprised I asked permission- MDers before have Never asked!!
Raining here tonight. hoping for sun!!
Later & HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you've had your 2500 for a while, how do you like it and what pecularities have you noticed? Always seeking info. Monty

OP
OP
Blackjack77

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Monty said:
Now that you've had your 2500 for a while, how do you like it and what pecularities have you noticed? Always seeking info. Monty

Monty-- I have no regrets with My decision to buy the GTI 2500 .Imaging works great to 6" and depending on
the object have also had some success deeper. I think for the amount of time I find to MD, this MD is a great
choice. Easy to start with,yet enough options to keep Me learning. I now hunt mostly in Jewelry mode,felt I was
missing valuables in coin only mode. I've also been learning the tone variations for good and trash targets. A good
target tone seems to be cleaner,louder and not as broken as trash. I do still use the belltone for coin indication, but
now discount a belltone ringing up a "99" VDI. Usually is a root or phantom signal. Have also used sensitivity at 7.5
for most conditions unless erractic operations or mineralized soil.
I've actually dug some coins missed with My BH 3300- -found along side dug hole,but deeper. Imaged and dug a penny
on edge at 7.5". It gave a belltone one direction- -broken signal other direction and no signal in opposite directions. Very
pleased with that result.All in all very happy- -wish I had more Detecting time!!!
HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know what the VDI is with your 2500? I just have to guess on mine. Monty

OP
OP
Blackjack77

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Oh boy!!- -you're right, confusing My BH3300 and 2500. I should have said ,when it belltones and Id's
at the farthest right, roots or falsing is probable .
Old before My time!!!
HH
Also on the BH3300- it would be a 199 VDI indication!!!

Willy

If overloading is also a result of mineralisation, Garrett has a new chip upgrade available for the GTI's, GTP, 1250, that (supposedly) takes care of this problem. I think that detectors manufactured after Sept. 06 already have the chip. If you are still under warranty and need the upgrade, I think it costs something like $10. ..Willy.

OP
OP
Blackjack77

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Willy said:
If overloading is also a result of mineralisation, Garrett has a new chip upgrade available for the GTI's, GTP, 1250, that (supposedly) takes care of this problem. I think that detectors manufactured after Sept. 06 already have the chip. If you are still under warranty and need the upgrade, I think it costs something like $10. ..Willy.
Thanks-I'll have to check this out!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions