New Guy Who Needs Some Help

B.Chap

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I have come to this forum in hopes of getting on the right path to educate myself with gold mining.

I have recently become involved with a company which has at its disposal 55k tons of Black Sand ore and tailings. It has been crushed, milled to approximately 200 mesh in size, washed and is ready for refining.

We have a geological survey that estimates there to be 4.02oz of gold per ton of Black Sand and 3.80oz of Silver per ton.

Basically I am trying to learn everything I can about these Black Sand materials, how easy/difficult it is to get the gold out, how much time/money it would take, and if these estimates seem to be in the proper ballpark or if they seem like an exaggeration.

I would appreciate any help that you experts can give me. I will be inspecting the site of the Black Sand piles sometime within the next couple weeks, so if you can also tell me what I should be looking for I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my free advice. Get somebody to do another assay on that black sand. Good Luck!

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodluck - BUT

That would be about 19.3 grains per 20 LB pan, highly unlikely but im pulling for ya.

johnnysau

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sound like a commercial operation that needs expert help. I'm not saying there aren't commercial mining experts here but most of our discussions revolve around non-commercial mining.
55,000 tons x 4oz per is 220,000 oz of gold at $1,668.00 per is worth almost $367,000,000.00.
That's a good haul. I hope you can find a way to process on that amount.
Then have the gold miners party and invite all of us.
After all it's over $360 million!!! There's got to be a party in there somewhere.

Last edited:

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sound like a commercial operation that needs expert help. I'm not saying there aren't commercial mining experts here but most of our discussions revolve around non-commercial mining.
55,000 tons x 4oz per is 220,000 oz of gold at $1,668.00 per is worth almost $367,000,000.00.
That's a good haul. I hope you can find a way to process on that amount.
Then have the gold miners party and invite all of us.
After all it's over $360 million!!! There's got to be a party in there somewhere.

Thats awsome!!! lol

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B.Chap - Here's my take on your 6 short paragraghs. You are new to this and are being asked to invest a bunch of money. We deal with "placer mining
claim scams" monthly, - "hard rock scams" are probably more prevalent, due to easily overwhelming the victim with "technical jargon" I knew a guy who
made good blue collar money traveling to worn-out/abandoned mine sites, restaking the property, painting old, rusted out equipment to look new, etc. - all to impress the dentists/inurance agents/small-town bankers, etc.(read naive victims) when his boss (scam artist) took them on a tour of "this hidden/overlooked
BONANZA hard rock mine (which in effect was a old worthless tailings dump). Having said that, if your inner voice isn't screaming at you, you must do a
couple things. First, spend whatever's necessary to get an INDEPENDANT mining geologist's report on the project, including his estimate of "gearing-up
costs" (typically in the millions before ever seeing the gold/silver) for 55k tons of product. Second, many legitimate mining co. send off multiple samples
to multiple assayers to arrive at "clean" data they can be certain of. I am far from being an expert, but you asked. Good Luck, and let us know what
happens - and welcome to tnet!! P.S. Forgot to mention, if this is "inactive" property there's gonna be time and significant
money spent on "environmental BS"

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome, Bchap, to the Net. Just a few points. Your wordage is misleading. When you said geological survey, did you mean Assay? A geological survey is a study of the minerals on the surface of the land. Nothing to do with gold/host rock ratios. A survey is very helpful but an ASSAY is what you want. And definitely an independant assay ordered by you and not the ones looking for investors. I suggest Copper State Analytical Labs www.prescottlabs.com All you need is about a pound of pulverized (powdered) material of YOUR choosing. YOU collect it from the source. Other suggestions will be coming from others that know more about such things than I. Hope it works for you. TTC

OP
OP
B

B.Chap

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for taking the time to respond! All of your replies are greatly appreciated.

You will have to forgive me if I am using the wrong verbiage, I am completely new to this field. I do have an Assay report that was done by ALS Chemex in August of 2012. However I am not quite sure what I am looking at when I read it. I believe they tested for 40 elements. Under the gold section it just has a number of 0.015. But I do not see anything about the size of the sample so I am not sure what that number exactly means.

In many ways the offer seems to good to be true, but the more and more I have looked into it the more and more intrigued I am. I just need to make sure the Black Sand has as much gold as these guys claim.

Thanks again for all of the information. I will definitely be having my own Assay done with samples that I will be taking myself.

If it all works out I will buy beer and strippers for everyone here

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for taking the time to respond! All of your replies are greatly appreciated.

You will have to forgive me if I am using the wrong verbiage, I am completely new to this field. I do have an Assay report that was done by ALS Chemex in August of 2012. However I am not quite sure what I am looking at when I read it. I believe they tested for 40 elements. Under the gold section it just has a number of 0.015. But I do not see anything about the size of the sample so I am not sure what that number exactly means.

In many ways the offer seems to good to be true, but the more and more I have looked into it the more and more intrigued I am. I just need to make sure the Black Sand has as much gold as these guys claim.

Thanks again for all of the information. I will definitely be having my own Assay done with samples that I will be taking myself.

If it all works out I will buy beer and strippers for everyone here
The .015 represents the ounces of gold per ton. It is a ratio of gold to host rock. Double check with the assayers. It is possible that the other minerals, maybe zinc or copper (etc), have more recovery value than the gold. Hope it works out for you. Also, do you know what method of assay was done, fire assay etc.? TTC

OP
OP
B

B.Chap

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The .015 represents the ounces of gold per ton. It is a ratio of gold to host rock. Double check with the assayers. It is possible that the other minerals, maybe zinc or copper (etc), have more recovery value than the gold. Hope it works out for you. Also, do you know what method of assay was done, fire assay etc.? TTC

The report says 4 acid/ AAS

It appears that Silver has a high recovery value of 1. So it seems that I have two conflicting reports here.

However, now that I think about it the Assay report may be for the land claims that are also involved with this deal. I will have to double check and get back to you guys. I may be looking at the wrong Assay report.

Thank you

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being mostly amatures on "hard rock" issues, we,ve gone about as far as we can. Just think, if I don't know, I should hire somone independantly who does
before cashing in my 401K. That includes checking the backgrounds of the promoters. Again, best of luck!
P.S. If your local Univ. has a Mining, Metallurgical, ore processing, dept. they can always provide general info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

B.Chap

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks for the help! It was a great starting point!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the assay reads 0.015 x 55 tons =all ya got is a lousy 8.25 ozs of gold and that's IF the assay wasn't higraded. The lousy 6+ oz of silver would not pay for the gas. There is absolutely only 1 way to run this. Leach-plastic underlayment in a lopsided pit,pile on the sand,turn on the sprinklers impregnated with cyanide and leach and recover through electrowhinning-plating-way tooo much $$$$ to do as just too small. 200 mesh is way to fine for water borne recovery of tons and tons and tons. RUN DON'T WALK AWAY--John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he said 55k tons....you never said tailings from what and where???? keep in mind that with value like youve been quoted why would some one give it up????

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive gotta to respectfully disagree, with the numbers here, i believe your only looking at .825 ozs, less then 1 is what im showing.
But i agree with the RUN, DON'T WALK AWAY Part.

johnnysau
===============================================================================
Forget the above

55000 * .015 OZS is about 825 Ounces worth about $1,098,880.00 @ 80 % Purity @ $1665 Spot.

johnnysau EDITED by

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The report says 4 acid/ AAS

It appears that Silver has a high recovery value of 1. So it seems that I have two conflicting reports here.

However, now that I think about it the Assay report may be for the land claims that are also involved with this deal. I will have to double check and get back to you guys. I may be looking at the wrong Assay report.

Thank you
4 acid / AAS is probably some form of atomic absorption technique. Way over my head. Ask questions of the report. Get your own report from another company. TTC

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the assay reads 0.015 x 55 tons =all ya got is a lousy 8.25 ozs of gold and that's IF the assay wasn't higraded. The lousy 6+ oz of silver would not pay for the gas. There is absolutely only 1 way to run this. Leach-plastic underlayment in a lopsided pit,pile on the sand,turn on the sprinklers impregnated with cyanide and leach and recover through electrowhinning-plating-way tooo much $$$$ to do as just too small. 200 mesh is way to fine for water borne recovery of tons and tons and tons. RUN DON'T WALK AWAY--John
John, believe its 55 "K" tons - doesn't really matter - still a bad deal!

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With todays economy and Fullpan's story, it's probably someones old crappy tailings pile that they are trying to get someone else to sign off on, so the EPA will come after them for clean up. The EPA is a big hammer they are trying to drop on someone's head.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With todays economy and Fullpan's story, it's probably someones old crappy tailings pile that they are trying to get someone else to sign off on, so the EPA will come after them for clean up. The EPA is a big hammer they are trying to drop on someone's head.
It is possible that you have an accumulation of black sands from several sources. It is a common practice of some (small) operations to sell or give away their black sands to people that further reduce it to extract the gold that is usually in it. Elmer Stapleton, one of the owners (previous owners?) of the Y-Not claims told me he gives his black sands (a sizable amount!) to a religious gruop that extracted the gold. The black sands you have access to may very well be from more than one source, a dubious adventure so, BEWARE! TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I have come to this forum in hopes of getting on the right path to educate myself with gold mining.

I have recently become involved with a company which has at its disposal 55k tons of Black Sand ore and tailings. It has been crushed, milled to approximately 200 mesh in size, washed and is ready for refining.

We have a geological survey that estimates there to be 4.02oz of gold per ton of Black Sand and 3.80oz of Silver per ton.

Basically I am trying to learn everything I can about these Black Sand materials, how easy/difficult it is to get the gold out, how much time/money it would take, and if these estimates seem to be in the proper ballpark or if they seem like an exaggeration.

I would appreciate any help that you experts can give me. I will be inspecting the site of the Black Sand piles sometime within the next couple weeks, so if you can also tell me what I should be looking for I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Contact mineral refiners to see who will even accept black sand for refining and what their costs are. And to find the nearest one, as transportation costs will be involved as well.

Also have your own independent assays done and determine before hand if the results will be in PPM (parts per million) or as a % or in opt (ounces per ton)

If you had any idea of a DIY refining operation, forget it! You will be buried under a mountain of red tape and regulation. Mostly due to the sulfur dioxide and other nasty releases of regulated contaminants that could be in your ore.

These folks are buyers and refiners of black sand concentrates, send them 1/2 oz. (one tablespoon full) for a free evaluation.
http://www.goldandsilverore.com/contact

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread