New machine and First Beach Hunt

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Yesterday I went to a yard sale and picked up a Whites Classic II for $35.00. Machine was clean and looked hardly used so I figured what the heck. Today I had to go over to the coast to take some measurements on a new house we just bought.

Its about 5 minutes from the ocean so I have been doing a lot of research into a new water machine. I have also been getting really excited about doing the beach thing as I see so much jewelry being posted from beach hunting.

We got down the around 1:00 and my appointment with the park manager wasn't till 3:00 so we hit the beach. I figured I would have plenty of time to hunt with the F75 anytime so I tried out the new Classic II. I was surprised how good it worked on the dry sand with iron disc out. Sens turned up all the way, disc to foil and it didn't chatter at all.

First I hit a few pennies, pop caps and Pulltabs. Then the machine did a screaming noise over a target. It was big and I thought it was a crashed can. I reached down into the sand and felt a chain. Started pulling it out and thought it was a dog choke chain. But with a ton of people standing again I filpped it into my pouch.

I walked up the beach where Steve was and said look what I got. This would have made my 3rd choke chain this year and I thought he would get a chuchle out of it. Pulling it out we notice and clasp. Steve looked at it and it said Italy 926 silver. I weighed it at home and came in at 3.53 ounzes of silver.

My first beach jewlery find and I haven't even moved down there yet. A little while later heading for the truck I hit another loud target and it turned out to be a Canadian 2006 $2.00 coin. Not bad for a $35.00 dollar machine, first beach hunt and only there for 1-1/2 hours. I think I am going to love this beach detecting a lot.

Attachments

• Silverchain.jpg
    Silverchain.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 378
Upvote 0
Great job and with only thirty five dollars invested you will be using the black ink to document your finds in no time.

I bet you even had a seabrease and the heat was not that big of a deal. Don't you feel sorry for the guys digging in the hard ground and sweating there brains out. Us beach guys have it made.

Ya, Terry! You dog! You beat me out today for sure! And with your 35.00 dollar machine! I was happy for you! Nice score!
But I got the good deal on the sand scoop!!
Ha Ha!!! ;D
Steve///

silver being at $13 a oz ---3 oz is 39 bucks -- say $4 bucks for batteries and $35 for the machine thats umm $39 bucks ---so congrats your machine just paid for itself --a steal at $35 bucks I might add --- Ivan

Nice job, just shows you do not need anything fancy and just need to get out there.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Murph: You bet, it was actually cool enough we both wore a sweat shirt while digging. And may I add the digging was easier than the hard pan we have been digging in the last 2 months. You almost need a jack hammer to get to even those 2-3" targets right now.

Ivan: I was using new Ncad 2600 rechargeable batteries in so that expense didn't count. But your right, that little classic for $35 was a steal. We did do a little land hunting on the way back and that machine was so quiet in the trash I was shocked. Might not be the deepest machine but it sure hammered everything I passed the coil over down to 4". Disc function was amazing too. I disc out iron and it didn't beeps over one iron peice until I toggled back to All Metal.

Lost at Sea: yeah I was surprised at now well this machine did on the beach and even the wet sand/water. In disc it didn't effect the machine much and I did pick up a couple of coins in the wet sand and water. But for better results I think you need a little deeper machine and alot larger coil. But for the price, anyone could be doing okay with this machine on a really tight budget.

Steve: Who's the dog!!!! You stole that sand scoop right out from under me. Guy I am talking to says $10.00 for that rubber coated metal sand scoop and you whipped out a bill faster then Billy the Kid in a gun fight. Bet he don't want $10 for the new stock he gets in on Tuesday. For an hour thou I think both did good on the beach. You got alot of clad and I got that huge silver chain. About even huh?

Okay, tinkb! But dont get cocky. Everyday is NOT like that one.

Huh Come on Dahut: Don't tell me that silver and gold isn't just waiting for me in scoops fulls. :'(

I been detecting long enough to know that it was very lucky for me to get a peice of jewlery first time out, let alone one of my nicest jewelry finds ever. Every peice of jewlery and even clad I find I appreciate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back