New Member, requesting help from local hunters - reward for effort

morrowboarder

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Lake McMaster, outside of Victoria, Illinois is a strip mine lake that has incredibly clear water and abundant weed beds. Last weekend, I captured a moment on the lake with my Dad (nice fish) and have footage and photos on a Gopro Hero 7 Black ($400, plus $60 SD card). The camera was on an 8" stand with metal throughout the assembly. The stand was "glued" in place, but the force it encountered knock it off into about 4 feet of water. It's sitting close to the bank on a flat shelf that breaks down to 30ft; however, with the weed growth where it was dropped, I'm very confident it's not near the break and can be recovered with the right tools and effort. The search area is 5-6 feet square, depth 3-5 ft. The heavy weed growth is what's hindering me from seeing the camera, because the water is very clear as state earlier. I'd say there's a week window to recover the camera before the weeds really take over and become unsafe to navigate. I'd be willing to do the swimming if there's anyway someone knows or could assist in pinpointing the device. I have 3 kayaks.

That being said, If anyone can help out physically, there's a $200 reward, find it or not, but I ask that you be experienced with the tools that may be needed. If you happen to find it, I would also give you the $400 camera (SD card not included). Any other information on how I should approach this, it's welcomed and appreciated.

I'm in a bit of a rush, so I apologize if I broke any forum rules in the message.

Best Regards,
BK

Last edited:
Posting this in the Illinois sub-forum

OP, have you considered a decent size magnet on paracord? and go do some "fishing" for it?

You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- good luck & welcome aboard mate! :skullflag::occasion14:

I have a 3 foot wide net and combed the area toward to the bank to bring it in closer. Also tapped the bottom for over an hour trying to feel something solid hit, no rocks on the bottom. If it wasn't gusting 35mph with whitecaps and 40 boat tournament going on, I would've jump in and scoured the area with my hands. I thought about the magnet, but afraid that will data wipe my SD card, which I'm more concerned about...

Edit, appears that the magnet wouldn't harm the SD card. Would a magnet be able to pull this device out of a weed bed? There would be much downward resistance when pulling up from the weeds.

Last edited:
I think that magnet fishing would be perfect for this or hire a diver with an underwater metal detector. ScubaDetector (forum Member) comes to mind. ScubaDetector is about 7 hours from Victoria.
13B8F33B-1654-4B30-916B-D1B76533E96D.png
Good luck!
Here is a post by ScubaDetector.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/608634-needle-haystack-diamonds-muck.html

Last edited:
I really do appreciate the information you laid out here. I don't believe swimming of diving is allowed on the lake, so thinking I will have to use a magnet or try to get a ping from a detector and touch with my feet to confirm before putting my head under briefly. Good thing is the lake is no wake and hardly people out where I lost it.

Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

The magnet idea is a great one! You will need a strong neodymium magnet. If you go to the magnet fishing forum, they can tell you what type, where and how much...Good Luck! :icon_thumleft:

unfortunately, others who have tried fishing for their gopros couldn't get a magnet to stick anything. The metal is mostly contained inside plastic housing, and not enough to crate the force needed to lift....

A strong magnetic field on a SD Card can destroy the SD Card physically making it useless.

Get a small boat and go to the spot where you think it is. Start in the center and spiral out dragging a net as you go.
Make the spiral no larger than 30 ft. Move the center of the spiral to the point where it will overlap the spiral before it and do it again. Repeat until found. You will find it. Eventually..
Or get a mask, snorkel and flippers, jump in and find it within a few minutes. If it sank into the silt, you can fan the bottom with your hand to uncover the object. Good luck!

:hello: Hello and welcome from Southeast Louisiana... "D"

Yeah, bought an underwater metal detector, going to do some scanning and swimming.

Welcome to tnet from MI Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back