Find4me

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Hey fellow garrett owners! This is my first post but I have been reading all the great adventures from everybody metal detecting. Back in August I decided to buy a detector and since money was tight I settled on the ace 250. This was not my first detector as about 10 years ago I owned a fisher detector that you could use underwater I don't remember the model but it had the hard case with it. unfortunately I sold it. So now since Ive been using the ace 250 I can say Its not a bad detector but find myself wanting to upgrade. Again money is the issue so my plan is to either buy the 10x14 coil for it or to save until next spring and buy the new AT PRO. The thing I hate the most about the ace is that there is no TID numbers on the screen. I have found some clad with it but no silver. My best find so far is a 10k gold ring I found in a school yard.

Attachments

• 100_0974.jpg
    100_0974.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 171
F

Felinepeachy

Welcome to Treasure Net. You've only been using that Ace for a couple of months. I would give it some more time. Lots of folks find plenty of silver with it. Save til spring. We hope to see lots of great finds from you in the near future. Happy Hunting.
phil_07.gif

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 250 is a nice detector and you need to give yourself time with it. Ya, we are all waiting for the AT Pro. I am wanting it because it is new and I don't have one. If you don't want to spend that extra money there is also the ACE 350.

The water detector you used to have was the Fisher 1280, maybe with the 8" coil, but they come with the 10" too. Still a decent water detector for fresh water.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net Find4me.

As suggested, spend some more time learning and working with your detector. A lot of great finds have been made with those machines.

OP
OP
F

Find4me

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Thanks everyone for the reply's. No matter what I do I plan on keeping the ace 250. I was hoping my 12 and 10 year old daughters might be interested in metal detecting but they don't seem to care for it. My wife doesn't like it either but that doesn't stop me. Detecting season is nearly over for me now as it gets dark early now and snow is on its way. I think a AT PRO under the xmas tree would be just fine!

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
This all relates back to what you want to achieve out of your hunts. Personally, I think you're good where you're at. If you want to cover more ground faster or get a bit more depth, sure get a larger coil. If want a few more features, or plan to get your tail end wet, the AT might be good too. If you're only hunting parks or schools, you've got all the detector you need already. Those numbers on the screen that we all like have their place, but ultimately they only serve to distract you. IMO, the single best thing you can get for the Ace is the Sun Ray probe. It does cost (watch ebay), but you can speed your target recovery time up so much that at the end of the day you'd think you had a larger coil. Just something to consider.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You found gold. You're doing things right! Nothing wrong with the machine, obviously. If the messages above haven't been strong enough... again... give it time. TTC

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 250 is a good machine for the money. I used mine with the 10x14 DD Excelerator coil. It's a little heavy, but it will go a bit deeper than the stock coil and tends to separate targets better. Plus it does not false near as much as the stock coil. The 250 will find silver. I have pulled 18 silver merc's, a barber, and a silver half out of one old forgotten park. I don't think the park has seen a modern detector before.

-swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread