What's new

new mexico civil war find

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2012
Messages
1,792
Reaction score
4,708
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this US waist belt buckle on Monday, can any one date it ?? 20171010_150015.webp20171010_150003.webp20171009_142816.webp

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app
 
Upvote 0
Based on where you found that great collection it could be Indian War period. Of coarse the buckle and shoe hardware were in use during 1860-1865. An expert will give you the precise dates. Great work on the finds.
 
Very Nice find of the US Belt Plate. It still has what hunters refer to as "The Puppy Paws " on the backside of the plate. Great find indeed. Congrat's to you. Stay on this area, there may be some more relics in this area.
 
yup came out of a 1938 yd permission, also found mini balls and 1876 seated half

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app
 
Does the toe taps have a date on them. They should be off the front toe.
 
Wow!
Nice Western finds.
The Seated Half is Super, Belt Plate A-OK, with hooks even.
Dated taps are nice as well ,would love to see the Minnie's .

Who am I to ask for pictures tho. lol
 
dang didn't take photos of them the owner was with me when I found them and give them th him

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app
 
Considering the other stuff found with it, Id say 1860s to 1870s. I was probably made during the Civil War in any event, and would have been taken out west by a soldier, either during or after the war. Is it possible there was an army campsite there before the house? Is there a creek or river nearby? The Army always camped on water. Another thing, there was some pretty significant fighting going on in New Mexico during the Civil War. Some big battles that most other Western States never experienced. It could definitely be Civil War. ANother possibility is that someone found it a long time ago and lost it in the yard you found it in, but since you found minnie balls, I think it could have been a campsite or even a battlefield. Great find, either way! Im jealous.
 
Yeah Old Pueblo I had information that there was a stable with small Garrison of Union soldiers stationed just east of that property also there was a battle approximately 10 miles south of the town , so I'm thinking it belonged to one of those soldiers during the the battle which make it a civil war artifact that's what I'm thinking

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app
 
Jimzz977 asked:
"I found this US waist belt buckle on Monday, can any one date it?"

According to the book "American Military Belt Plates" by O'Donnell & Campbell, it is a US Army Regulation 1839 oval waist-belt buckle... but its date of manufacture can be narrowed down to a particular time-window. The FLAT-TOPPED (not domed) version of "oval stud" belt-hooks on your buckle dates it from about 1855 to 1861. Of course, it could have been in use for several years after its period-of-manufacture... as indicated by the shoe-toe protectors you found nearby.

The brass shoe-toe protector was patented on Nov. 29, 1859. See the photo below.
 

Attachments

  • shoe-toe-protector_marked-Pat-Nov29-1859_toeprotector.webp
    shoe-toe-protector_marked-Pat-Nov29-1859_toeprotector.webp
    72.5 KB · Views: 125
Yeah Old Pueblo I had information that there was a stable with small Garrison of Union soldiers stationed just east of that property also there was a battle approximately 10 miles south of the town , so I'm thinking it belonged to one of those soldiers during the the battle which make it a civil war artifact that's what I'm thinking

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Good to hear youve done your homework. Id say Civil War for sure then. Really an excellent find out West. They're much more common back east.
 
yup, that's why in a million years I never think I would have found a u.s. buckle like that

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app
 
Wow! Very cool buckle. Nice find, congrats.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom