Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my MX5, its a little more chatty than some of the other machines I've used, but I've found it to be fast accurate, and it goes deep, it is very well balanced, and it seems to be set up for a lefty with the headphone jack on the right, seeing as I'm a lefty I don't have exception to this, the coil connection is a little awkward, but once its connected how often is that an issue? I love the light weight and the fact that you can put it in standby mode,, I regularly hunt with with folks who use Garrett machines and more than keep up with them, yes even the AT Pro, for me this is the best machine, not bashing just stating fact, the only advantage then at pro has over my MX5 is the water proof controls, wish my MX5 was waterproof, but I can live with it not being, so I give it two thumbs up and will continue to use and enjoy my MX5

It's my favorite machine over my MXT-Pro even. The headphone jack thing everyone mentions has never been an issue, even though I'm a righty. After using the MX-5 with standby mode I think it should be a must have on every machine made!

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The plug being on the right side of the control box is not a big deal. I make up these extension plugs, because I like for the headphone plug to be located far back on the shaft and out of the way. Just plug it in and wrap it around the shaft a few turns and secure it with some duct tape or Velcro. I really like using it on my G2 and Omega. I plan on using one on my MX5 when it arrives.

tabman

Detector%20Plug%20Adapter%20001_zpsfzsltitk.jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a neat way to do it but I honestly don't think you'll need it. I use GG NDT's and Bushmasters and have no problem with reach or cord getting in the way.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far so good with my newly acquired MX5. It's super hot on gold rings and nickels. My favorite setting so far is 2 tones, discriminate out everything below '0', and have the sensitivity set two bars down from maximum. I can pinpoint quickly and easily using the 9 inch coil without having to use the pinpoint button. Also, I'm finding that I prefer having the headphone jack on the right side even though I'm right handed.

Any pointers and tips would be appreciated and welcome.

tabman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tabman, in 2 tone you may want to open the screen on up to hear the iron low tone, because the tone break is at 0 so you essentially are only using one tone with disc set all the way up to zero. Try it on the nail board and you should see a lot less masking in 2 tone with wide open screen. I usually only blank out -95 which is usually just ground noise range.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Fletch, I'll give it a try. I like the audio high tone in the '2' tone mode better than I do the audio tone in the '1' audio tone. It really catches my attention.

tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get in one of those yards that's not loaded with iron try the 8 tone with 0 down disced out. It has a sweet high silver tone!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also one other trick I read about the MX-5. You can set your beach mode disc say to a wide open screen if you are running fairly high disc in coin mode. Then you can quickly hop over to beach mode to check iffy signals. Kind of the equivalent of Quick Mask on an Etrac.

Also holding PP momentarily switched to a very sweet all metal mode that still gives target ID. The am mode is a retune mode and the PP am is a zero motion all metal much like the Outlaw.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions