Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel

As Joe said it was a great day to be out diggin chilly and a few flurys - LOL. It was good to hunt with Mikewaz again, he also found some goodies too. Well I am just gonna jump in and say that the place was awesome!!! The only thing was that I have never hunted in a place with so many roots!!! I mean they were all over the place, like spaghetti noodles in a colander. Well I found 2 first for me, a V-Nickel (1907) and my first SLQ (1918d). But I butchered it!!!

I got a nickel signal and started to dig for it, but again the roots were everywhere!!! Well I got all of the smaller roots out of the way only to come upon 2 bigger roots that formed an X over my target, well Joe wound up getting it out and he immediately handed me the coin. We knew it was a nickel and I started to look of any indication of a date. I was just saying "V-Nickel, V-Nickel, V-nickel... then I saw the faint head of Ms. Liberty!!! I have been looking for one of these for awhile now and I couldn't be happier!!!

Then I moved around to the bottom of a small hill and got a sweet signal of silver!!! I had no idea what it was, a dime or a quarter but I kept diggin... I battled the roots to get the SLQ, I only saw the bright silver scratch that I made, so I reached my hand in to pull it out, once in my hand I started screaming in horror!!!! I didn't even clean it off I just walked like a zombie yelling for Joe. He saw it and I said clean it off... Then he told me the date and that it is in excellent shape (minus the scar I put on it), I was in shock and felt lowere than low, but at the same time I was happy that I found my first SLQ.

I wound up getting:
1918d SLQ
1907 V-Nickel
1918 Buffalo nickel
1919 Wheatie
1934 Wheatie
1936d Wheatie

Besides damaging my coin I am very happy!!! Oh yea, when I got home I checked my Red book on my SLQ, in Extra fine it is listed for $90... So that got me kinda down, but I would rather have a damaged coin than no coin at all.

Here is the coins the me and Joe found:
3017901312_7d334d3d91_o.jpg

3017901316_234bcedda3_o.jpg

Now for the closeups...
3017901326_497e07ae05_o.jpg

3017901332_6fcc84f74d_o.jpg

3017901336_f90dbbbef3_o.jpg

3017901340_3e9c325dfd_o.jpg

I found this marble while digging for an iffy coin signal. I never found what was giving me the signal but atleast I pulled something from the hole. It has seen a whole lot of marble games, it has pings all over it and is dull looking so for the pix I dripped some water on it so you can see the cool swirls inside. I found it down about 7 inches, enjoy.

3017581651_d2c6c7a711_o.jpg

3018414078_35faba0cc4_o.jpg

3017581591_a311444581_o.jpg

3018414016_fc7c1885ed_o.jpg

oz_il

Oct 6, 2008
Evergreen Park, IL
Re: New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel

Nice to see research paying off.

I was in Glenview today - ex-manager , who works on computers as a hobby swapped my out a Prescott as the SOB ran way hot, despite an additional case fan and a copper heat sink.

Anyway I hit his yard, property from the 1940's and nothing but clad. Heck, I couldn't even find a ring style pull tab! It was like people didn't start losing coins until the 1980's ???

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75

That SLQ is the prettiest one I ever saw, scratch and all. :thumbsup:
Mike

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006

Nice variety of coins :thumbsup: many will pass up nickel and you got a buff. & V. WTG!!!! :icon_pirat:

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II

Those are some great finds TF, Congrats on that beauty SLQ :thumbsup:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Yeah man, too bad about the quarter...you know, there is one way of fixing this, where you'll never have to see that scratch again. Just give me the quarter and I'll take care of her permanently. lol jk

Definitely a day to remember; unbelievably tame 8-point bucks, soggy book-filled backpacks also containing random superheroes, stop-and-go flurries, and the benefit of not having to dig any modern coins (well...except one or two isolated incidents, we've got hobos to blame for that crap).

You guys did great yesterday with the finds. I almost had to grab a few of those books just to say I wasn't skunked! lol, maybe do a little reading on how to use a metal detector. jk

Maybe Saturday? I'm taken on Sunday, Sunday is a no-go this week. Unfortunately, according to weather.com, Saturday is to be a wet one and Sunday looks good. We'll wait and see how things roll.

Joe

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Yeah baby! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!
Haven't pulled an SLQ with that kind of detail, nice! A V nick to boot! Sure looks like purty marble too! Nice site pickins Joe!

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac

Great job Treasure Fiend. That is a very nice early SLQ with great detail that would make anyone's day. Seeing how you had to deal with cutting through root infested soil, I would not beat yourself up too much for dinging it. It is still a sweet coin. SLQs are tough and to find one in that condition is a real prize. Congratulations

Sounds like a great site. Was there alot of trash?

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The site definatly had its party spots and in places there was hot rocks everywhere. By the end of our 5hr hunt my pouch as almost full of trash...

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

twistidd said:
Yeah man, too bad about the quarter...you know, there is one way of fixing this, where you'll never have to see that scratch again. Just give me the quarter and I'll take care of her permanently. lol jk

Definitely a day to remember; unbelievably tame 8-point bucks, soggy book-filled backpacks also containing random superheroes, stop-and-go flurries, and the benefit of not having to dig any modern coins (well...except one or two isolated incidents, we've got hobos to blame for that crap).

Joe

The luggage filled with old books was wierd... When we first went into the woods we all walked up on one. I think Mike said "I hope thats not a body." Then I said "boy that would be one for t-net..." LOL

It was funny, I was digging a target when Joe said "watch out!" I thought somebody was walking up on me, I quickly turned around. It was a big buck just walking around. He was getting pretty close and he definetly saw us and just kept getting closer, probably just checking us out. That was cool, but I would hate for him to get close to us and freak out and get one of us with his antlers. That was the first buck that I have seen in the woods in chicago area, I always see does but never bucks, so that was a rare treat for me. :thumbsup:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1

WHOA! BIG CONGRATS ON THE SLQ TREASUREFIEND!

I know how you feel about the scratch... my very first Merc that is EF+ received one of those as well. Too true though, it's better to have found the coin than not. I ended up cleaning mine up real good with soap and water and a soft toothbrush, and now the scratch isn't as noticeable. I think leaving some dirt on a coin gives it depth though too, so it's kind of up to the individual.

HH!

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EXELLENT--- SLQ & a V-Nickel

Congrats to you man.............they look in pretty good shape too..........well...........except 4 the oops. But I know you will never do that again.
Great hunting.
Fun isn't it ?????.............Way to Go man

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Did you type, "The luggage filled with old books was wierd" as though there was luggage filled with old books there? I hope you gave it a very thourough going over or better yet grabbed it all up for a slow day.

Attachments

• bookprint.gif
    bookprint.gif
    85.3 KB · Views: 257
OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nah, I just saw them, didn't go through them. Joe and Mike actually looked in them. When I say them I thought someone was stealing luggage from the airport and going through them for valuables then dumping them in the woods. I don't even know how old the books are. :tongue3:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75

There were at least 3 or 4 duffle bags out there and they all had paperbacks and crap in them. It was really strange in a way, unless some thief had a book fetish.

None of them were old and it seemed like they were mostly Robin Cook type books. The one we first walked up on did look like a decomposing body in clothes. We were waiting for that smell, but thank God the clothes were empty.

I just checked this thread out again to look at that beautiful SLQ again Fiend. I bragged to everyone that would listen that I've never seen one like that in person before with so much detail, and coming out of the ground after 90 years on top of it. I gotta get me one of those one day.

Mike

BONECHOP

Apr 26, 2007
Lisle Il.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Please tell me where these New Old Woods are I have hunt in the woods before but your find was the best I seen in along time. NICE JOBS KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BONECHOP said:
Please tell me where these New Old Woods are I have hunt in the woods before but your find was the best I seen in along time. NICE JOBS KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
gimme gimme gimme

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe did the research, its his spot to giveaway not mine. Besides I have to at least hunt with the person before I start givin away spots. :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions