Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel

Well I am just gonna jump in and say that the place was awesome!!! The only thing was that I have never hunted in a place with so many roots!!! I mean they were all over the place, like spaghetti noodles in a colander. Well I found 2 first for me, a V-Nickel (1907) and my first SLQ (1918d). But I butchered it!!!

I got a nickel signal and started to dig for it, but again the roots were everywhere!!! Well I got all of the smaller roots out of the way only to come upon 2 bigger roots that formed an X over my target, well Twistidd wound up getting it out and he immediately handed me the coin. We knew it was a nickel and I started to look of any indication of a date. I was just saying "V-Nickel, V-Nickel, V-nickel... then I saw the faint head of Ms. Liberty!!! I have been looking for one of these for awhile now and I couldn't be happier!!!

Then I moved around to the bottom of a small hill and got a sweet signal of silver!!! I had no idea what it was, a dime or a quarter but I kept diggin... I battled the roots to get the SLQ, I only saw the bright silver scratch that I made, so I reached my hand in to pull it out, once in my hand I started screaming in horror!!!! I didn't even clean it off I just walked like a zombie yelling for Twistidd. He saw it and I said clean it off... Then he told me the date and that it is in excellent shape (minus the scar I put on it), I was in shock and felt lowere than low, but at the same time I was happy that I found my first SLQ.

Twistidd got a 1906 Barber dime from like 10 inches!!!

I wound up getting:
1918d SLQ
1907 V-Nickel
1918 Buffalo nickel
1919 Wheatie
1934 Wheatie
1936d Wheatie

Besides damaging my coin I am very happy!!! Oh yea, when I got home I checked my Red book on my SLQ, in Extra fine it is listed for $90... So that got me kinda down, but I would rather have a damaged coin than no coin at all.

Here is the coins the me and Twisdidd found:
3017901312_7d334d3d91_o.jpg

3017901316_234bcedda3_o.jpg

Now for the closeups...
3017901326_497e07ae05_o.jpg

3017901332_6fcc84f74d_o.jpg

3017901336_f90dbbbef3_o.jpg

3017901340_3e9c325dfd_o.jpg

I found this marble while digging for an iffy coin signal. I never found what was giving me the signal but atleast I pulled something from the hole. It has seen a whole lot of marble games, it has pings all over it and is dull looking so for the pix I dripped some water on it so you can see the cool swirls inside. I found it down about 7 inches, enjoy.

3017581651_d2c6c7a711_o.jpg

3018414078_35faba0cc4_o.jpg

3017581591_a311444581_o.jpg

3018414016_fc7c1885ed_o.jpg

Upvote 0

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Re: New old woods - 2 firsts for me!!! SLQ & a V-Nickel

Nice quarter my man. I see you signed it with the gouge. Look at the bright side. If you find many more of them then that gouge will undoubtedly bring back the specific memory of where and when you found that particular coin. Seek a silver lining in any negative aspect in this hobby and your memories will be much more positive. Congratulations on such a perfect coin. :thumbsup:
Chris

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

that SLQ is FANTASTIC!!! Congrats on the coinage!

Funkman

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That slq is in awesome shape . Nice barber too. Those are both on my list :thumbsup:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW!! That SLQ is absolutely spectacular. . . congrats! :thumbsup:

The condition of your SLQ is a wonderful indicator in dating the area you're
hunting. . . it couldn't have been lost any more than 2 or 3 years after it was minted.

One last comment. . . don't beat yourself up over that tiny little "nick"
(just imagine what Nick Dundee would have done with his digger :o)

Excellent hunt!
watercolor

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

A fabulous SLQ! I take a pair of hand pruners and a pair of loppers out with me; the pruners fit easily in the back pocket and the loppers are on hand if needed. They've allowed me to reach many coins that were blocked by roots. We've all nicked a piece of silver or two :'(.

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

Wow TF, thats a great hunt you guys had. Next time you go shoot me a PM and I'll bring the brews,,,well maybe some Brandy, with this weather...

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

WOW ~ that's a very nice Standing Liberty Quarter! Congrat's!!

I dug the same date & mint-mark SLQ just a few weeks ago! VERY EXCITING!!! WOOHOO!!!!!

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X

Sweet group of finds!
Great detail on the SLQ.
Good hunting!
CongRATS!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

I've got to add my two cents here. TF, that is indeed a great find regardless of the scratch. I'd get my hands on those pruners for that particular area.

It wasn't easy reciting that early date on such a perfect SL to you, man...it was difficult. I nearly shed a tear. But...whatever. A great find nonetheless, we'll get more next time!

Joe

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe

SWEEEET....Two firsts!!! ATA-BOY on both of those and dont sweat the scar, its just a learning experience that has to happen once in a while. Congrats on the awesome finds and you are right.......that is one sweet quarter!! 8)

au4me2

Sep 8, 2007
Ma.
Detector(s) used
Depends on what Im looking for!

TF,

NICE detail, Don't worry we have all learned that lesson! :-\

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on the 2 firsts, the SLQ is awesome, you and Twistidd made some nice finds :thumbsup: I feel for you on the SLQ gouge. Two thumbs up for posting though, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: someone new to the hobby will learn from it. I'm hunting a similar spot with the roots all over and never thought of bringing clippers.
Glenn

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

Congrats, that SLQ is awesome and the others rock as well! :thumbsup:

GAdirtfishin

Mar 24, 2008
Summerville, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

that is a real pretty lady you got there - i too have nicked a couple of good coins when they were in the ground, i think that we all do it - my favorite coin is the SLQ, in my opinion it is the prettiest coin ever minted in the US

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congratulations on the SLQ and V- nickel.I have also damaged a few coins so I try to be carefull when digging. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My first only( so far) SLQ is dateless and has virtually no detail at all, yours looks very sweet indeed.
Congats on the SLQ and the V.

Good luck,
HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions